Beating the '84 Cougs

Viewing 5 reply threads

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

The year is 2247. Technology has allowed universities to bring back their best teams ever. BYU has resurrected their ’84 squad with all their experience and confidence gained after beating Michigan, leading them to be crowned national champions.

Now the Cougars have thrown down the gauntlet and challenged us to come at them with our best team to take them on. Who do you choose? The ’04 and Alex-Smith-led Fiesta Bowl champs? The ’08 Sugar Bowl champs? Ronnie Mac’s ’94 Top 10 team? What about our 2016 team that tied USC for the South, but lost it in the tie breakers? Maybe you’re just that confident in the 2018 team we’ve not seen yet.

It’s easy to pick our most decorated teams, but were they also our deepest, most talented, and skilled? If you’ve got one shot to take down ’84, who are you going with?

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

2016. They wouldn’t be able to handle that defense. 1(b) is 2004. That offense would tear them to shreds. But 84 isn’t the best BYU team, not by a long shot. 06 is.

FountainofUte
        Ute Fan
        @fountainofute

Their ’96 team is the best one I’ve seen them field, and it’s not really close. Though I was too young to care about their early ’80s teams. Though I’ve heard some say that ’85 was possibly a better team than ’84.

Longview
      Ute Fan
      @longview

2018.  This team

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Depending on how Huntley plays, but this could easily be our best team ever if Huntley takes a step up. 

Overall, this is easily the most talented team we’ve ever had. Can Huntley step up and lead that talent? Let’s hope so. 

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

I’m taking my chances with the ’04 team. Urban and Kyle? That will work.

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

04 Utes so we can have that offense destroy that WAC defense and have KWhitt coach against his linebacker self. 

Thlete
        Ute Fan
        @thlete

Oh my bad, Whitt graduated in 81. Answer still stands for me. 

Staples
          Ute Fan
          @staples

Maybe we could schedule their ’80 Miracle Bowl team. Sports-reference.com has it rated as the Coug’s best team according to their simple rating system with McMahon at QB, Whittingham’s at LB, AND Tom Holmoe on the roster. Incidentally, 2004 is rated our best team using the same measurement, followed by 1929 under Ike Armstrong.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

First of all, I think any one of the ’94, ’03, ’04, ’08, ’14, ’15, or ’16 teams would beat their ’84 team. But, if I am picking just one to go against their ’84 team I would go with the 2004 team.

I truly believe that ’04 team was head & shoulders above any other team we have ever had. Maybe they didn’t have quite as much talent as some of our Pac-12 rosters, but discipline, execution, and QB play from that ’04 team are all superior. And that offense? Please. Game over before they even have the coin-toss.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

16 defense was deadly though. 08 was stacked with NFL talent. 

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I don’t give a crap how much NFL talent their 1984 team had. Go look at the schedule that team played. For all of their NFL talent, they played several much closer games against teams that were as bad or worse than what ’04 Utah played while Utah played a more difficult overall schedule and dominated every team they played.

BYU beat 5 teams by a touchdown or less, two of which were 3-7-1 Pitt and 6-6 Wyoming.

Utah on the other hand beat every team but one by 3 scores or more. Our lone “close” game was a two TD win over Air Force, and Utah had a four TD lead early in the 4th quarter of that game. 

BYU’s ’84 team was a paper tiger in every sense of the term.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Beating the '84 Cougs