Big picture

Viewing 3 reply threads

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Ena and Anderson.  NOT essential.  Look at the big picture here.  Just competed closely for PAC-12 title.  Program continues to rise.  In recruiting, whatever happens happens.  Some recruits want to play for college glory (what a big time program I am in sitting on the bench) in spite of long term preparation (athletic, academic, family, playing time).  We really want the players that want to be here.  If Taylor leaves it happens, but mentioned as a candidate is not yet worth worrying about.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Would you say the program IS ALIVE?!!!

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Agreed…staff attrition is commonplace in college football. Top 20 programs have their coaches poached every year. Not a terrible thing…new blood and new vision often helps culture.

Big picture is Whit’s career is winding down. Anywhere from tomorrow to 2025 we’re going to have a new HC with multiple staff changes. Could it be someone with Utah roots or does Harlan make his mark with a Majerus or Meyer hire like Hill did.

Today we’re a strong P5 program trying to cement ourselves as a top 25-30 program for years to come. Don’t worry about recruiting…it’s on the upswing. We’ve had two excellent classes in a row. Cupboard is pretty full and we’re not trying to weed many out. There is talent on the hill and next years class will probably be rated higher than ever before if we’re successful again (which we should be). Future is bright. Enjoy the ride.

Side note on Coach Taylor. If he’s offered the Sac St job my belief is that he’ll take it. He wants to be in charge, wants to have full say over his own program, wants to prove he can do it on his own. 3 – 4 years ago he was coaching in High School. Let’s say he made $200K at E Wash and moved up to $7-800K at Utah and then dropped down to $600K at Sac State as the head guy??!! Any of you be able to live on $600k coaching football? Prove he can do it there and he gets a G5 job for 1-2 million…and if not he pulls 5-600K a year for 5+ years. Easier to get an HC job with HC experience. Which one of you wouldn’t take that kind of money to be your own boss?

That’s the reality and it’s not a bad reality. That said, as of last night the only two announced to the team as leaving were Ena and GA.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying it doesn’t make sense. 

If that’s what he wanted, why didn’t he stay at EWU?   Baldwin was gone and the HC job would’ve been his. Also, if Sac St can afford $600K, where they been?

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

He’s from NoCal so is comfortable there over EW…not sure that the HC was an option for him at the time either.  Still had to prove himself.  But you’re right if they can’t pay him closer to upper 3’s or low 4’s it doesn’t make sense.  

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Nm. Answered below.

KelVarnsen
        Ute Fan
        @kelvarnsen

Jody Sears, Sac St’s head coach, made $195,000 in 2017. I seriously doubt Sac St could come up with $600k for TT. 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Ewwww…they’d have to double that for it to make sense.  Looks like I over estimated an FCS gig!!  

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

Coordinators don’t make much either at that level. TT left his big as a high school teacher and TH coach and took a 50% pay cut to be the OC at EWU. And that was only a year or two removed from their FCS Championship -winning year.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

ONLYU. Anything new on that early entries ? I’ve heard from a few people that Moss is strongly considering staying and Fotu, Ana’s and Blackmon are all pretty confident will be back. Things can always change but that’s what I heard. You’ve shown to have better insight. Have you heard similar ?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I’d be surprised if Anae and Moss returned…completely dependent upon their draft grades.  Both would like to go if it makes sense.  On the flip side, I’d be surprised if Blackmon or Fotu left.  Leki and his family (brothers played at Illinois and AZ) believe he could be a 1st rounder if he came back…I think he stays.  Blackmon didn’t have the greatest season so should be back.  

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

ab so freakin’ lutely

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.