Brewer Gone. Not a surprise.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

And where is Simi Moala (RT) Does anyone know ? 

3 5

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Bentley 2.0

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Wow.

12 1

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

Man, I really feel for the guy. He looked so great during the Weber game, but terrible O-line play really bothered him. I also wonder if the pro-style system made him uncomfortable since he was used to a spread at Baylor. 

Also of note, in this new depth chart, JaQuinden Jackson is listed as the backup. 

8 8

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

I don’t feel for him at all. He’s looked terrible and quits the second he isn’t named the starter…good riddance.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

From Brewer’s perspective, he has one last chance to prove himself and get drafted. That wasn’t going to happen sitting on the bench. So if he is in the portal, it’s because he can redshirt this year and find another team to start for next year. That wouldn’t happen if he had to sit on the bench and get garbage time in two more games this year.

Sucks that Utah invested so much in him and would need to scramble at this point but it’s best for everyone if he moves on if he wasn’t going to be fully invested in the team.

1 2

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @rickyrules

If Brewer has any illusions that he has a career beyond college football then he is insane.  I was one of his biggest supporters but for him to just quit after having a bad game is extremely disappointing and likely very telling of his true character.  I expected a lot more from him.  It now makes sense why Cam was voted in as a captain and not Charlie.  Time to move on and Cam is our guy now!    

14 1

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Hate to see him leave because who knows if Rising can stay healthy the rest of the way. But I’m really excited to see Ja’Quinden Jackson as #2. Brewer was always a 1 and done grad transfer, whereas Rising & Jackson are the future. Seems like this might be for the best.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Agree wholeheartedly about Jackson.  Love seeing him get backup reps and starting his development now.  I’ll be at the games start to finish regardless of record and support the rebuild/youth movement.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I am wondering about which is first the chicken or the egg. Jay Hill seamed to pick up on either Brewers struggle to handle pressure or the OL’s ability to pickup pressure. Either way, he chose pressure and lots. It did not help that Utah TEs and RB was often released rather than used to pick up the blitz.

Next, the Y and SDSU continued to use pressure to key their defensive game plan. The OL struggled with LBs, even with TEs blocking struggled. Sometimes they struggled when outnumbered. The play calling did not seem to be used to remedy the situation. The only thing that has worked over the last 2 games was calling on Rising. Even with 6 and 7 man rushes Rising was able to make quick passes, avoid the rush and move the ball.

Looking forward, I expect even Brewer thought it is more productive to use Rising than any of the other possible changes. I think Rising gives us the only chance I see to attack the blitz and get defenses to return to using their base defense much. It is likely we would not return to Brewer unless Rising gets injured and in that event defenses would return to stunting and blitzing. It is always disappointing when players will not accept any roll other than starter.

For play in the Pac, I expect Rising will be less vulnerable to the blitz. If drives are sustained the play book can open up more. Next it is best to get QB2 snaps so it will be interesting to see how that happens.

We have a good group of QBs in the program and lined up. If there is an interesting QB in the portal we need to look away.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

HUGE thumbs up to avoiding portal QB’s, especially grad transfers.

They’ve already got two committed and both Jackson and Costelli are true freshmen. One of those 4 can back up Rising next year at needed.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Honestly the way it was looking I wouldn’t be surprised if Brewer would have been moved to third on the depth chart. With Jackson’s size and athleticism, he would make more sense to play ahead of Brewer given the fact the Utes need a QB capable of extending plays and using his legs.

17 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Oline was s**t can’t blame him at all. I don’t think it is all on him. Utah got him here named him the starter and throws him into an awful situation with that line. 
      Good luck to Rising I wanted him in preseason. Just hope he doesn’t get hurt again. 

UtahUtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahutesrock

I don’t know if Utah really “threw him into a bad situation”. He had eyes and he could evaluate the oline between what he saw last year and what he experienced in practice. I don’t think he’s a victim in any sense of the word. Our head coach is defensive minded (I’m the first one to notice that right?). I feel like the offensive side of the ball is always going to be a wild card I think Huntley was productive because he could escape pressure (because our o line is never something to rave about). Rising looks to have that same escapability. Again I gotta assume Brewer and those around him could see what he was up against coming here from the start. 

I’m chalking this year up to a rebuilding year. We lost a lot of talent prior to 2019 and to transfers this past season. I’m excited to see what Rising does. I’m excited to see how the team grows. I don’t expect a PAC 12 Championship this year. I’m not even sure we go bowling. Frankly if Whitt decides to call it, I’m ready to wish him well and be excited for the next regime. 

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

You nailed it, Rock.  If you want to stay sane as a Utah fan this year you’d be well advised to treat this year as a growth year.  I’m going to enjoy watching some of the young guys develop now.  I’m stoked at the thought of Jackson eventually getting some time.  I’m intrigued by him.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

You are telling me that Utah a defensive minded team noticed that Brewer was bad during games?  That this never came out in practice?  

Utah’s oline situation is not ever going to improve with that sort of an evaluation. 

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

There’s a problem between Harding, Ludwig, Po’uha, and Powell. Neither group is strengthening the other especially when the dline is told to stop and wave arms during camps. Leading to Whitt’s comments about being soft in the trenches and pushed around.

Could a season start any worse?

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Can’t say I like a quitter, but if this saves his last year of eligibility, I get it.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Does it? I guess with Covid guys are getting more eligibility but I thought he was on his last year already. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I’m not sure if it does or not. I couldn’t see him quitting right now if it doesn’t though. Strange times.

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

He hasn’t used his redshirt so he still has a year left if he wants it. 

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

Not a surprise? I don’t remember hearing a single person saying that he was going to leave. I am not surprised Rising is the starer, I don’t think anyone expected Brewer to leave though. That’s huge news, and not expected.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Spring game 2021 champion.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Once Rising was named Starter Brewer was Gone. I think it was close in camp. But the coaches are basically promised Brewer the job so they figured they’d role with him.

1 1

BoiseUTE
      Ute Fan
      @slarson150

That kid is too thin skinned to play football I have a feeling. It’s a tough life being a QB at this level and above.

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

Has the same feeling as the Tuttle situation. Maybe I’m foolish for saying this given the year so far, and maybe it doesn’t even manifest until next year, but I get major Baker Mayfield vibes with Rising, anyone else? Swag and a way of making s*** happen, no? Just me? I would love to see college Baker Mayfield lead my team, so I’m hoping I’m not seeing things.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Brewer Gone. Not a surprise.