Bryson Barnes landing spot speculation

Viewing 5 reply threads

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

So a friend of mine talks with Bryson’s family. They said to him that Bryson has offers from USC and UCLA and that Northwestern even offered him right after the bowl game but that he seems to be very motivated to go to NC State.

I can’t believe that anything that happened in that bowl game would make a team want him at QB but I think that NC State could be a good fit for him. If he goes to USC or UCLA he won’t see the field much.

Oh and word is that Utah offered him a position to stay and work in coaching with the QBs.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Utah offered him a position to stay and work in coaching with the QBs.

Uh…

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

At first I thought this has to be troll post. But that last paragraph had me believing it was all real.

4 1

W16Ute
        Ute Fan
        @w16ute

In the end, all I really care about is that he’s not on the field for Utah next year.

Rick Walker
      Ute Fan
      @big2890

I could see Bryson getting some GA role to work with QBs. I remember Whitt saying something about his high football IQ and maybe he’d be a better coach than player. He could very easily be someone that doesn’t have the “it” factor for games but could coach someone up who does. Everything I’ve seen doesn’t make this seem as if he’d be a great teacher, but it’s not like any of us know him personally so maybe it’s crazy enough to work.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

If you can’t do, coach

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I have to imagine that all of those offers were for backup positions. There’s no way that Barnes is better than any of the leading QBs already present at those schools.

4 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

So many people saying how smart he is even though he sure as s**t couldn’t diagnose a defense presnap or move off his first read…

1 1

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I bet there’s a big difference between coaching it up and understanding it and being able to actually do it on the field.

There’s no reason to doubt Bryson knows his stuff and could be a great coach. Mike Leach played a down of college ball. Bryson is already ahead of him there.

Bryson may know it all as well as cam and could coach it better. Cam just has the gift to be able to step out there and have it translate to real-time.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I think you nailed it. Barnes & Rising have similar skillsets: neither has a plus arm but they can make all the throws necessary for the college game, neither has gamebreaking speed but they are both willing and capable of moving the ball with their feet when required. And before some of you think I’m dogging Rising, I’ve also described Bo Nix who has been a Heisman contender.

The difference between Rising, Barnes (& Nix) is the decision making. No matter what anyone thinks of Rising, he makes quick decisions and they are usually right. Nix is the same, Penix is the same, Jayden Daniels is the same. In truth, Barnes is more like Caleb Williams in the decision making department without the out-of-this-world ability to avoid contact and plus plus arm. Barnes was probably as much better than his HS competition as Williams was (in relative terms.,, kinda like 4 is 2x greater than 2 = 12 is 2x greater than 6) but once they both moved up a level, only one could get away with it.

As for the coaching ability, college or pro stats have very little to do with being able to run an effective scheme. For reference, someone should check out Andy Ludwig’s QB stats as a player.,, trick question: Ludwig was a receiver in college playing in Pokey Allen’s system at Portland State which is as about as far removed from Utah’s offense as the Wishbone is from the Air Raid. The top passing offenses in the country, with the exception of Tennessee, aren’t run by guys who put up QB stats.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Bryson Barnes landing spot speculation