Cancel Culture

Viewing 9 reply threads

uteboi
      Ute Fan
      @uteboi

Hi all, (*steps onto soapbox*)

I have one quick gripe to get out before tomorrow’s game (need to get all the negative energy out of me). 

Over the last 24 hours, I have seen Ute fans on Twitter demand apologies from the following: ESPN, Paul Finebaum, Jake Toolson, Mark Pope, BYU’s Student Section (the ROC), and the new KSL (i think) Ute beat writer.

All of these people may have done or said something to annoy or upset us as a fanbase yesterday, but just because someone says something you think is unfair or doesn’t fit your subjective narrative doesn’t mean you have to blow up their mentions demanding apologies.

It screams inferiority complex, something I thought we shook years ago. I understand many are probably just wanting to stand up for their team, but in the objective world we live in, I don’t think it always paints a good picture of our fanbase (EXCEPT FOR FINEBAUM, I was fine with that, he’s the worst). 

I assume most of us are adults on this site, so we should have learned the world isn’t fair and people have different opinions. Instead of lowering ourselves to the standards of some of those mentioned above, some are worth not addressing, it’s much easier to be the bigger man. 

We all represent each other and our university, please consider that before you hit the keyboard. (And trust me, I’m not saying I’ve never been at fault, but I’ve learned to take a deep breath before attacking someone online).

I’m probably preaching to the choir as most fans on this site are great. 

*Steps off soapbox* …. *waits for downvotes* …. *regrets going on somewhat of a hypocritical rant*…*please don’t cancel me*

GO UTES, Beat the ducks!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I don’t want apologies at all because they are empty. I don’t want to play they so poo poo ever again. If this makes me part of the cancel culture so be it. 

If your head coach acts like that after you blew two double digits leads I don’t want to play you. If your band plays their fight song during a tribute for a dead guy I don’t want to play you. Playing They so poo poo is a generous thing Utah does. There are very little advantages anymore in Football and in basketball it is obviously dangerous. Larry K was correct in buying the game out and I will forever admire him for it. 

uteboi
        Ute Fan
        @uteboi

Understandable stance. 

Maybe this is a poor take on my behalf, but Pope reminded me a lot of Larry, a fiery competitor who can let a rivalry game taint his judgment. Larry took a step back, we’ll see if Pope does the same.

Also, BYU’s band wasn’t at the game. Their students started singing the fight song before the video started, as I stated earlier, the song is really long and I didn’t expect 100 kids to stop singing in unison once the video started. It was annoying as hell but I’m not offended. 

Parach-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @parach-ute

Although I agree with your assertion somewhat, Finebaum’s comments are treating Utah like it’s some MWC champion and IS inferior just because the school is Utah. His comments make it clear that, after almost 10 years as a member of a respectable P5 conference with what can be seen as great success given where Utah came from, and also previous recent unmatched success as a G5, Utah still should be an outsider for something other than merit on the field. I understand that he is being paid to promote interests other than those of Utah and the Pac 12 but saying Utah shouldn’t get in for anything other than what’s on the field seems reckless and irresponsible as a media member and an employee of ESPN (who has the broadcast rights to the CFP). His comments go to the very integrity of the entire system, which is already stacked against schools like Utah.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Finebaum doesn’t have anything against Utah.  He’s just anti-anything non-SEC.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

I think it’s a spot on take. We all need to take a step back if we’re cancelling games because a coach complained about officiating in a game with a large foul discrepancy (even if it’s fairly easy to explain why there was that discrepancy.)

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

@uteboi

You said it. A lot of people are way too easily offended these days and they just look ridiculous with their outrage on full display while demanding apologies.

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

1) Twitter is a degenerate cesspool. Stay off twitter and your problems are solved.

2) Hating on BYU and Mark Pope is easy, enjoyable and part of being a passionate fan with a local rival school.

Utah is finally getting some respect nationally, although the coverage is few and far between. I think the outrage about media critics is annoying as well. Some fans in every fan base will always respond this way. Don’t let it bug you because it’s always going to happen.

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Sports didn’t create, but merely bring out the s**tiness in people.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I’ve always agreed with the quote . . . 

“Sports don’t build character, they reveal it.”

This is true for players, coaches, and fans.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

Screw Finnebaum, screw Pope and screw BYU. I’m with Richard Sherman. I don’t want an apology, I want them to apologize, I want them to look stupid when we succeed.

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Great post. Wish overall we weren’t so sensitive as a fanbase. Bad look IMO. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I wish we weren’t so sensitive about fans being sensitive. Listen we can go down the rabbit hole of examining fan bases and comparing. The simple truth is Utah is like most fan bases across the country. Every fan base has their uniqueness but for the most part we are all alike. Yes even They So Poo Poo.   

Finenbaum is an SEC honk because that is what butters his bread. ESPN has guys like him on because they know what protects their interests. They are not a media company at all. But for Utah fans to flame him for presenting an idea with zero facts or reason is 100% valid imo. 

DrJazzy
          Ute Fan
          @docute

You nailed it – most Utah fans can see thru his schtick. So why be bothered by it? The besr way to shut his pie-hole is a W on Friday. 

But to get upset or whatever, go on social media demanding apologies, I dunno I just don’t get it. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Utah could win 80-0 and still Finenbaum would want three SEC schools in CFP. He would be hard pressed to choose between OSU and Clemson for the fourth spot. 

DrJazzy
          Ute Fan
          @docute

Think I’m also really just disappointed in our fanbase. It was such an incredible season thus far and we have a chance at magic…stadium should have been completely full every game. We still have that niche feel to me. 

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I don’t give a damn if they apologize or not.  (If any of them do so in a humble and honest manner, I’ll be accepting). 

As far as football goes, just go win the game tomorrow, then wait to see if we’re going to Atlanta, Glendale, or Pasadena and move on from there.  No point worrying about what others are saying. 

As far as Toolson, and Pope go, our young inexperienced players beat their team loaded with upper classmen and we’ll see that team in Provo next year.

javadave
      Ute Fan
      @javadave

Caring as much as you seem to about Ute fans on twitter is also a bad look.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Cancel Culture