DeAndre Yedlin may stop playing for USMNT

Viewing 4 reply threads

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Amid the Black Lives Matter movement and the ongoing protests against police brutality and systemic racism around the globe, DeAndre Yedlin says he’s questioning whether he wants to continue playing for the US men’s national team, and is considering stepping away.

In an interview with Sky Sports released on Friday, Yedlin said he’s having difficulty with the idea of representing a country where “all people aren’t equal”.

mlssoccer.com article

5 1

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

I’m sorry but that seems a bit dramatic. I’d be interested in hearing which country is better at racism. European soccer has been marred forever with racism issues. Yes we have a problem, it’s become painfully apparent recently, but so does every country. We are working on it. We aren’t settling for status quo and it seems things are heading in right direction. I don’t think it’s something where you become overwhelmingly ashamed of your country and refuse to represent it at this point.

5 4

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

I don’t want to put words in your mouth annd make an inaccurate inference. Are you implying the concept of because everyone else is doing it, then it’s ok? 

Is everyone else do it? Racism is prevalent, irrespective of country/culture/people; however, is every country doing so systemically? Is playing sport for your country that important? Can elected officials not at least try to make a difference? Many do. Plenty don’t.

Thlete
          Ute Fan
          @thlete

I understand your question and didn’t mean my post to be a “whataboutism”. I guess I was trying to say that I think we are still doing better than most countries in the world – but never want to settle and love that we are striving to be better. I just don’t agree with seemingly calling out the USA alone and refusing to play. That said, I struggle to understand the emotions that are in full display around the country given my limited exposure being raised in nearly all white neighborhoods. I have no ill will against any race and thus assume others feel the same. It has become apparent that is not the case – unless it’s all trolls and troublemakers doing and saying terrible things on the news.

I watched the 13th on Netflix to try to understand what systemic racisms were in place. It was well done and explained the position thoroughly – though it lost me a bit when it went full “Trump is an outright racist” at the end (though I’m no fan of him and didn’t vote for him, that still seems propaganda to me). I suppose I’m now at the point that I disagree with Yedlin in that I wouldn’t do the same but I understand that some are fed up and tired of fighting.

5 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I understand your position. Thank you for expressing it.

I have been overwhelmingly ashamed of this country’s actions and policies since high school.

I can’t help the way I feel. I apologize if that statement offends anyone. Not my intention.

3 1

Thlete
          Ute Fan
          @thlete

I’m ashamed of how we’ve behaved in the past and can’t fathom Jim Crow laws. I’ve tried to be understanding that racism is taught and that’s how people were raised at the time and hoped I would be an ally if I were born back then. That said, I don’t agree with all the statue distraction and lawlessness happening as a response right now. We should decide as a society to change statues with a reasoned debate – not vigilantes deciding for us. I thought that we were well past that terrible past and we had learned and grown as a society.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

As a die-hard soccer/USMNT fan:

I think a lot of this is being driven by money. DeAndre makes a pittance with the USMNT compared to his club contract with Newcastle. When you’re already playing physically-demanding club ball 10 months out of the year, why would you want to play for your national team the other 2 months for no money?

While obviously racism is a huge issue in this country, I feel like he’s using it to lay the groundwork for an upcoming plan to retire from national team “duty” without p**sing off USMNT fans.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

OK, I’ll bite. This is one man’s opinion / rant – worth about as much as the paper it’s written on.
        My perception is this is a loaded situation. DeAndre may not even make the final cut for Quatar. The kids are that good. But regardless…Why would you play for your national team? Is that a serious question?
        The National Team is much higher profile – particularly here in the US. For US-based endorsements and opportunities, you’re not going to get that playing in MLS or even EPL or Bundesliga. As far as US based fans, clubs are for die-hards, but USMNT is for fair weather fans across the entire country.
        Plus there’s clauses in every club contract everywhere that allows them to go play for their national teams with no cut or discount in pay – they get paid like normal while on USMNT duty. So it’s not a money thing.
        Plus there’s this thing called national pride. I realize that DeAndre has the right to do what he sees fit, and more power to him, but I have a hard time believing with all of the work he’s done on the USMNT that he’d find it easy to walk away from that squad – especially with the exciting youth movement. He’s one of the only seasoned players we have left that could have a major impact on this next WC cycle if he sticks, and that will increase his likelihood to participate in WC play. If it weren’t for him, Jozy, Brooks and Ream, we wouldn’t have any seasoned WC vets in Quatar (especially since Gyazi and Bradley are not locks by any means to make it).
        As far as the “other 2 months”, that depends on the league you’re in. USMNT stuff is year-round and interrupts all leagues play, not just MLS.

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

I get a thumbs-down for this post even though I accused nobody, made no inference, asked IMO fair questions, and made general observations. Although I couldn’t care less about the thumbs-down, it certainly is interesting.

As a former collegiate athlete, my perspective is a bit different from that of many, but no better or worse. As a brown person and a hyphenated American, again, my perspective is different, but no better or worse. Growing up in Utah, I didn’t pay much attention to skin color, not did I care. As I’ve gotten older, I think I know more about what I don’t know. I can never walk in a black person’s shoes, even if I have many black friends and played sports with many more.

We’ll never rid of racism as long as there are humans around, but that’s hardly the point. We’ll never rid of idiotic sports fans who take things too far. I have very little hope for the human race — perhaps I’m wrong.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Don’t worry about thumbs down votes. Sometimes you get them even if you don’t think you said anything to earn them. I didn’t think you said anything to earn a thumbs down, but for some reason, others disagree.

7 3

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Let DeAndre know that this morning I was considering a purchase of Aunt Jemima syrup but didn’t because I don’t want to hold back the black community. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports DeAndre Yedlin may stop playing for USMNT