AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

BYU, Boise St, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, UCF, 

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Yeeaaaaaaah no.

Seriously though, it would be a very good conference. Not many bottom feeders. It doesn’t have the appeal of a sexy flagship team, but they could probable earn their way in over time.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

That travel schedule would blow for the players and fans.

Except for Poo Poo you know because the world is their fanbase.

4 2

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Absolutely NOT!  You can’t make a P5 league out of midmajors.  And for the record, there’s no way a league would include ybU-p/Boise St AND WVU/Cincy/UCF.  Just look at a map.  You’ll see.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

You seem really passionate about this subject.  The coalition has done it before when Miami, Va. Tech, and BC left the Big East for the ACC.  You do realize there are these things called airliners that can take a human from SLC to Cincy in 3 hours…  Map proximity is for Bus Leagues in the 60’s.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

the logistics of playing a game doesn’t just happen on airliners. all of the team and medical staff equipment travels by semi.

that was one of the issues for rescheduling games in 2020.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

You have got to be joking.  Equipment can be anywhere in the country in 4 days.  If FCS teams can do it on a weeks notice a FBS team can figure out logistics in it’s own conference.  

I get it, it is BYU, we hate BYU, boo fricken hoo.  History has shown that the haves take care of the haves and there are 8 haves left…

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico are all further away from Hawaii than Utah and Idaho are from West Virginia.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

That is a complicated question with an even more complicated answer.  Looking at past behavior all of the “traditional” BCS teams had landing places in the A5 before they shot the Big East in the head…  

By that same token they completely thwarted the Big East’s attempt to save itself by adding “top” non BCS schools from accross the nation to fill the void.  But only after Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers, and Pitt had an exit strategy.  Louisville almost got left out to dry.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Just look to the BIG East and you have your answer. It’s really that simple and not complicated at all.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

Needs a flagship team or two.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I saw an article that included a pretty compelling argument for expanding to a 16 team conference, then doing scheduling pods – which would make the travel a lot more bearable. The west pod was UNLV, BYU, CSU, and SDSU.

Not sure if it would be a P5 league, but adding the top AAC and MWC teams would create such a huge drop-off beyond the Big12, that it might work to keep the Big12 viewed as a P5 conference.

Here is the article: Reason to expand to 16

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

The P5/G5/FBS/FCS divide is bulls**t. Football is football is football.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

I’m sure the SEC will claim P5 status for them and many more

Sanders
      Ute Fan
      @sanders

That would make a good basketball conference.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

I would be interested. I’m not a player hater. We need leagues where players can flourish. I’m definitely down with giving them a piece of the pie in that arrangement. The 4 I would add:

BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston.

Probably the biggest markets to save the Big 12.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Does the Big12 stay a P5 conference after they add 4 of the following teams