ESPN 11 greatest upsets in college football

Viewing 5 reply threads
      4 1

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Just watched ESPNs college football 150 11 greatest upsets and they didn’t even mention Utah beating Alabama?! They had BYU winning the national championship at 10 but not Utah absolutely boat racing Alabama who was ranked #1 for most of the season in a BCS bowl game that no one gave us a shot in? WTF ESPN. I’m far more salty at something like this then I thought I’d be!

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Perhaps ESPN was looking beyond the final score.  Think about it…

If ybU-p — who was ranked #1 going into the ’84 Holiday Bowl — beating an unranked 6-win Michigan team is considered an “upset”…

…but a Utah team — who was ranked #6 going into the Sugar Bowlbeating an Alabama team who was ranked 2 spots higher heading into that game — was NOT…

…then perhaps that’s really more of a dig at ybU-p than a slight to Utah.  Unless you’re suggesting that a #6 team upsetting a #4 team qualifies as a monumental upset, that is.

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

Yeah I also saw it that way as well however it’s a bye week and I’m ready to fight!

2 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

ESPN is a joke nothing new here. Glad I didn’t watch. Glad I never watch anything from ESPN ever. 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Nothing Utah football did from 03-2010 is actually acknowledged in ESPN history.  First, it shatters the narrative that BSU was the BCS buster this isn’t a slight.  BSU, like BYU in the 80’s, was an ESPN property at the time.  Second, ESPN is not a news outlet.  Once you realize that they are in the content production and promotion business not the news business it makes it easier to understand.  The PAC 12 is currently a content filler due to the PAC 12 contracts with Fox and ESPN as they have no controlling ownership stake in the content.  The reality is that Utah sports have not truly been an ESPN property for 15 years now.  

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

And as pretty much all of us know, their only true ‘upset’ victory was their opener against 3rd ranked Pitt who finished with three wins (and one tie).   Sealed their title with a one score win over Michigan who finished 6-6.

1 1

MineralUte
      Ute Fan
      @mineralute

Hmm. I don’t get the angst, or the idea that there is a conspiracy theory by ESPN to keep Utah off of this list. Yes, it was an upset, but Alabama was only a 10.5 point favorite. There have been hundreds (thousands?) of games with larger point spreads where the underdog won, so I don’t know why our win in the Sugar Bowl would even sniff this list.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football ESPN 11 greatest upsets in college football