Fano’s

Viewing 9 reply threads

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I’ve never seen this before, but saw it on X. Very good listen. Very long, gets really good just past the 20 minute mark.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I love hearing that Spencer is at 308 to 310. He looks good at that weight too.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

lol. The “incident” where Spencer got his “no” to BYU, if I remember it correctly goes something like this. Spencer has tickets to the BYU game, decent seats. But the OL coach wants him to have his family tickets which are better. So the OL coach gives him 2 of his family tickets but forgets to tell his wife. They’re good seats, front row. When Spencer goes to sit down next to the wife who is already seated, the wife doesn’t recognize him and his friend and throws a huge baby fit and tries to get him thrown out without even looking at his ticket stub or understanding the situation. lol. The Fano family gets wind of it during the game on a huge family group text and everyone’s p**sed.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

After that, the Fano’s make a call to a Ute coach, Morgan Scalley I believe but don’t quote me on it, and they got tickets to the Ute game that night and were treated really well.

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

It absolutely blows my mind that it not only happened, that it happened to their top potential recruit, and there wasn’t an apology made for MONTHS. That is insane to me. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. How can you brush that off without a thought? Credit to Spencer though for learning from the experience, but also just laughing it off and getting a great story out of it. What a huge blessing for Utah!

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Who was the OL coach? This seems so weird. A simple text to the wife solves this problem. But also profusely apologizing immediately to fix the problem.

I have said this for years but TSPP has a bunch of vultures sort of feasting on the scraps of Lavell’s legacy at that school. But it has always been that way when you hear about how people really treat each other down there.

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

His name was Funk – Hopefully he gets a nice gift basket every christmas from our coaching staff.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Also, I would encourage everyone to listen from the 39 minute mark for a few minutes as Logan gives insight into the Utah coaches living what they preach. Very cool.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Good catch. Their description is EXACTLY why Whit has my dedication. Does he makes mistakes? Yes! But they guy gets it, he gets the kids (better than they do themselves), he gets the system, he gets winning.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Who’s the host?

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

He’s a former byu player, Alema Pilimai

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Fixed your youtube embed so it will show the video here in the website. All you need to do is put the youtube url on its own line.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

This is interesting, thanks for posting it. I didn’t realize Logan was really a silent commit to Utah before changing his mind last minute. But now it all makes sense with how UteZone was feeling confident he was coming to Utah out of high school.
      Agree that it’s funny to hear that “the incident” really happened. I always like to give a shout out to Coach Funk and his wife for personally delivering the Fanos to Utah along with the entire Fano family for future recruiting! Ute Nation loves you Coach Funk for locking things down in Utah County!

Kellso
      Ute Fan
      @kellso

Very entertaining brothers. I’m so glad they are Utes. Talent oozes.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Love what they had to say about Connor O’Toole! Huge respect from both of the Fanos for how good COT is. Can’t wait to see him start off the season healthy this year and ball out!

Logan was on his way to having a monster year before getting hurt. I have no doubt he’s going to come back from his rehab and crush it. Sucks to lose Elliss but I don’t see any drop off with COT and L Fano. Utah’s front 7 is once again going to be NASTY!!

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

FYI, the previous episode is great as well. Especially when Keanu brings up Kaleb Williams

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Wow. It’s fantastic. I’ve listened to more than half. The Fano brothers are simply awesome. Also, it’s great to hear them talk up Utah’s culture – makes me admire the players so much more. You aren’t there to slack or fool around and “you become us, we don’t become you” seems to be deadly serious, which I love.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Wow, I found this episode (1:1 with Logan Fano below in next post) to be way more insightful. A lot less joking around and really cool to hear Logan describe his experience at Utah and how big of a difference it is at the U vs TSPP.

According to Logan, the development at Utah is on a whole new level. He said he came in thinking he knew football and was ready and realized quickly he didn’t know anything. At Utah, Scalley and the coaches make sure the players not only learn their job but everyone’s job so they understand the full defensive scheme and how their role fits into the scheme. He made it clear how important this is so they can operate as a whole unit, understanding what they can and can’t do to not leave their teammates hanging out there to dry in certain situations.

It was also super cool to hear Logan describe how much harder Utah practices are than TSPP. Utah’s philosophy of practicing and preparing as hard and physical as they can makes the games so much easier for the players. He said it helps make the actual games slow down and the players become more focused on winning reps vs trying to not screw up out there.

Fano and the former BYU guy also touch on how lacking TSPP’s depth is in comparison to Utah. We all know this but it’s still interesting to hear the players talk about it. Bottom line, Utah’s program is light years ahead of where TSPP is. The coaches and support staff, business like approach and culture that exists, and the amount of quality talent and depth create a wide gap between where the 2 programs sit.

Although IMO, the moment we find ourselves spending too much time comparing ourselves to TSPP, we’ve lost. Because that means either they’ve climbed or we’ve fallen off a ways or a bit of both. What we really need to be doing while stuck in this purgatory called the B12 is…Utah needs to continually benchmark ourselves against our former peers who’ve gone to the P2 where we want to be. How are we recruiting, developing, and landing dudes in the NFL in comparison to SC, Oregon, and Washington etc??? Resist the itch to give TSPP a second thought as much as possible because they’re far behind us in the rear view mirror where we don’t want to be!

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Tony, I can’t seem to get the YouTube link to post correctly. What am I doing wrong?

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

Definitely worth a listen – At one point the BYU dude was basically like, I would have been a better player if I knew when i’d have outside help or not and different scheme things. Seriously saying that they weren’t really doing any coaching at TSPP…. That’s hilarious

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Totally. Right now I’m listening to the podcast he does with Keanu Tanuvasa and it’s another really good one. But the BYU dude again admits he went to BYU because he thought it was going to be the best fit for him. But now that it’s all over he realizes it was a mistake and he never was going to be able to reach his potential at the Y. I don’t know how he was as a player but he said Utah was his favorite school growing up…too bad for him he made the wrong choice.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.