Final PAC-12 All-Conference Teams

Viewing 4 reply threads

WasatchRanger
      Ute Fan
      @luke8675

I realize it’s portal season, but even after a tough year in many ways it’s nice to see a number of Utes make the (last ever) Pac-12 All-Conference teams!

List of All Teams

1st Team:
      Safety/All Purpose Player – Sione Vaki
      Defensive End – Jonah Elliss
      Punter – Jack Bouwmeester

2nd Team:
      Offensive Lineman – Sataoa Laumea
      Linebacker – Karene Reid
      Safety – Cole Bishop
      Defensive – Lineman Junior Tafuna

Honorable Mention:
      Offensive Lineman – Michael Mokofisi
      Cornerback – Zemaiah Vaughn
      Offensive Lineman – Keaton Bills

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

It’s probably our lowest number of players on the 1st/2nd teams in years. It makes sense considering the injuries we experienced this season.

I am certain Barton would have been on the list had he not been injured.

I just think Bishop should have been first team. Outside of that, I don’t see much that I disagree with.

WasatchRanger
        Ute Fan
        @luke8675

Having 7 First and Second team guys in a “down year” shows the progress of the football program!

Also, I liked seeing Vaki get the all-purpose nod over Travis Hunter.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Bullock over Bishop is an absolute joke.

One last insult from the Pac-12.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I’ll tell you why that is. Bullock is projected to be a late 1st RD/early 2nd RD draft pick in next year’s NFL Draft. Bishop on the other hand, is projected to be a 6th/7th RD draft pick, if he declares for the draft. Can’t have a guy projected in the 1st RD backing up a guy projected to go in the 6th RD, can you? It’s really all about measurables instead of actual performance on the field.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

Performance on the field should absolutely determine all-conference teams. But for my money, Bishop’s dominating performance, on-the-field IQ and leadership, relentless effort, should be rewarded. He was 1st team quality. If he returns for 2024 he will prove it.

And Bullock over Bishop, really? For the last two seasons, I’ve joked that teams purposely ran the ball, and passed in No. 7’s direction. No way with Bishop, no way.

Measurables, talent, fine. And Bullock, agreed, he will be rewarded with a high draft selection. However, Bishop regardless of his draft position, will outperform, many that precede him in the draft, including Bullock. In five years Bishop will be force on the field in the NFL.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Defer to coaches voting who are watching film on these players almost every waking moment during the season. Biggest disappointment this season IMO was the Utah Oline. Overall this group was very inconsistent, had way too many penalties, missed assignments, and got pushed around against the good teams. Rushing yards: OSU: 57, Oregon: 99, UW: 115, UofA, 118, UCLA: 102. I get teams stacked the box due to the QB situation.

Harding seems to be a good players coach, his recruiting seems suspect. Probably missed someone, off the top of my head, Bolles, Barton, and Daniels are the only Oline players drafted in the past 10 years. Hopefully Utah can snag a couple good Oline players in the portal especially if Bills and Laumea declare for the draft.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Oddly, the last two years I think Harding has recruited very good. The top recruit in ’23 and so far in ’24 is OL as well as the 3rd best in ’23. The depth is also very good. As has been discussed, I find it impossible to evaluate the OL in ’23 given the issues with QB and RB. They were much the same OL as ’22 but with improvements.

OSU had 4 players on the all conference first and second teams. That incredible OL was much like Utah’s in ’21 and ’23, but I did not compare the run totals. 3 of the 4 have a year remaining and OSU has no where to go in ’24. I wonder if any will hit the portal and consider Utah, given Smith several times said he built that team, run first, with Utah’s blueprint.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Charlie, I can’t imagine that too many players that have NFL aspirations will stick around at Corvallis or Pullman. The only caveats to that are guys who view each of those schools as their dream destination.

1 1

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I agree with that. I thought that the OL would be one of the biggest strengths of the team and it was just the opposite. Most of the season they were mediocre to decent at best. Hopefully that gets corrected next year.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Maybe. Watch and see how guys from this year will suddenly improve greatly when we get Rising back with a better run game. What will Oregon or Washington’s OL look like if replacement QBs and RBs disappoint? Fascinating question of chicken or egg puzzle.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Final PAC-12 All-Conference Teams