Football & Coronavirus

Viewing 9 reply threads

GibUtes
      Ute Fan
      @gibutes

Question for all of you. What do you think is the likelihood of a cancellation/delay of football in the fall? Spring camps are closed, pretty much nationwide. But what happens if/when this is still a problem in a few months.

Herbie thinks it is probable. Bronco is prepping like it will be delayed or cancelled completely. Even Whitt admitted it is possible. 

Assuming all the players get another year of eligibilty, what happens to the players if they graduate or transfer? What about draft eligibity? What do you think that will mean for schools that get the vast majority of funds through football? Will ESPN survive? Do us season ticket holders get refunds? Will the school have enough $ for the RES expansion?

Open for any conversation about how this could play out… Impacts for players, schools, fans, etc. Share your thoughts.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I wouldn’t be opposed to cancelling our first game of the season . . . 😉

Seriously, though, I have a hard time believing football season gets cancelled. Worst case scenario, I think, is that all college teams will play an abbreviated season of 8 conference games and maybe one non-conference game. Some of the lower profile bowls will be canceled but the big ones will be played.

In the NFL, I think we might see a more regionalized and abbreviated season. Something like 6 divisional games and 4 non-divisional/conference games with the closest teams to limit travel. For example, the Broncos would play home & home with the Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers plus 4 more games against the Seahawks, 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals (2 home, 2 away). Playoffs probably go on as normal, maybe drop the Wild Card round? And do away with the Pro Bowl and accompanying events.

Maybe I’m just being hopeful here, but I just don’t think we will be in the midst of this “pandemic” anymore come August and football season goes on pretty close to normal. In fact, I think we will be attempting to resume life as normal by sometime in early May.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Going to be an interesting summer and fall. Hard to imagine what might happen. I don’t think many of us in 2019 saw ourselves being quarantined for weeks in 2020. Maybe it will give Covey even more time to get back to 100%!

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

50/50 depends on if things open up mid june.

4 4

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Honestly can’t see football season happening unless it’s in empty stadiums. After finally getting this thing under control in early summer, the last thing our leaders will want is to start the next wave of the pandemic which will see us under another quarantine.

gothamute
        Ute Fan
        @gothamute

I really really really HATE to agree with this, but I think you’re exactly right. Italy believes that a Champions League soccer match is what exploded the virus in Northern Italy (by far the worst-hit place in the world so far)…

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/coronavirus-how-a-champions-league-match-contributed-to-italys-covid-19-outbreak/

So until there’s a vaccine I just don’t see games being played in front of fans… no government (or school for that matter) wants to be responsible for a repeat of the Bergamo experience. And unless the number of new infections goes to nearly zero by next month, I don’t see the ’20 season being played at all. I mean, the Olympics (which have a lot more $ riding on them) were supposed to start at the end of July and they’ve already been cancelled… so 🙁

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

My understanding is the Olympics being cancelled had to do mostly with qualifying events being cancelled and athletes being unable to train, which would’ve drastically increased the risk of injury.

I actually think the CFB season will be played. But it will be played without fans (TV only). And if there are fans, there will be extreme measures taken (like every fan’s temperature being taken at the gate, etc.) to ensure that nobody is COVID-positive.

MontanaUte
      Ute Fan
      @montanaute

I think the best idea would be to move football season to spring of 2021. Then in fall of 2021 start back as normal. Spring ball could be in December, start the season in February and end in May with bowl games? Use the spring games to scout talent for the NFL, no combine. Summer off then start up as normal for fall camp and games. Also allow 1 year relaxed rules on recruiting.

I would love a Colorado vs Utah game in April/May. Tailgating as it gets warmer by the week would be nice for once too. Also bowl games could become a destination if tied in with a family vacation.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Would be interesting to see USC visit Rice-Eccles in a February snow storm

gothamute
      Ute Fan
      @gothamute

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Simple question-

Would you attend a public gathering without a vaccine? Games with empty stadiums are not the same.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I would. 

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

I wouldn’t.  I estimate I make it to Hunty and RES combined about 15 – 20 times per year between all sports.  Not that I’m worried about getting Coronavirus myself but more worried about spreading it. Sports lose to value of life everytime in my book.  

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

We will clearly be over the first wave of infections; it will depend what people decide about the process for the future before everyone can get vaccinated.  Large gatherings in outdoor venues may have a better shot than indoor — no recirculating of air and UV of sunlight should disinfect surfaces.   There may be long lines if every attendee’s temperature is checked before entering.   Also masks may be required?   Muffled cheering?  Maybe they’ll allow noisemakers in place of cheering.  How would you design a safe system??

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If this goes on longer than May 1 I don’t agree at all. Basically suspending the Constitution right now and ruining millions. If this goes past summer essentially you will see a vast increase in suicides and crime. In the interest of saving lives will they extend this to other public health problems?  Thousands die every day and the world still turns. It sounds harsh but you can’t hold people hostage for ever who might be perfectly fine after getting the virus. 

I worry about the next time. There will always be another virus that will cause people to die who have compromised immune systems. 

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Football & Coronavirus