Football question of the day

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Who are your all-time favorite Utes and why. Here are my top five:

Eric Weddle – What a stud on and off the field. He did everything for us, defense, special teams, and even offense. He was a great player and an even better guy.
      Alex Smith – What can I say – he ended up being the number one pick in the NFL draft. He is the best QB in Utah football history.
      Tyler Huntley – I loved him from the beginning because he honored his commitment to Utah. He was the Gatorade player of the year in Florida his senior year. He stayed loyal to Utah even though Florida, FSU and Miami came calling.
      Britain Covey – His smile alone would bring a smile to my face. He gave everything on every play. I honestly never remember him running out of bounds on a play. He always tried to get that extra yard or two. I hope he ends up as a coach at Utah someday.
      Julian Blackmon – He was the glue on the 2019 defense. It was the games that he was injured that we lost that season. He will never go down as one of the top=tem greats in Utah football history, but he should IMO.
      Honorable mentions, Luther Ellis, Scott Mitchell, Eddie Johnson, Harold Lusk, Moss, Lloyd, Chase Hansen, Roy Jefferson, Chris Fuamatu-Ma’afala, Stave Odom, Steve Clark, Star L…

Ute95
      Ute Fan
      @utejones67

Erroll Tucker – In 1985, he led the nation in kick and punt returns. He, also, had two or three pick sixes. He was electric.

Britain Covey – Dude was a baller and a really nice guy. It felt like he played for 13 years at Utah and he still had a year of eligibility left.

Eric Weddle – He did everything.

Luther Ellis – Great leader and put Utah on the map defensively in the early 90s.

Honorable mentions: Alex Smith, Kareem Leary, Shakey Smithson, Ty Jordan, Devin Lloyd, Mike Fouts, Kevin Dyson, Louie Sakoda, Mitch Wishnowski, Quinton Ganther, Barry Sims, Reggie Dunn, Dustin Hensel, Sheldon Deckart, Matt Gay, Tom Hackett and . . . Manny Hendrix, CJ Cron, Kyle Kuzma and Andre Miller (LOL).

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Errol Tucker was very fun to watch.  I forgot about kickers.  King Louie is a past favorite.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Errol Tucker is the only college football player I know of who’s play demanded the creation of a new All-American position, kick returner, because of how he impacted football games? I remember games at Utah where the crowd came most alive, much louder by far, every time the other team kicked the ball. Long returns were almost completely guaranteed. I also remember thinking other teams would be better off kicking off out of bounds and always going for it on 4th downs. Has anyone ever separated themselves from their elite piers more than Tucker?

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

Steveon Smith– He was a menace, and always a threat to take it to the house.  His speach to the crowd at the Rose Bowl cemented it for me.

Brian Johnson– Clutch when it mattered most.

Sione Pouha– They didn’t have a helmet big enough. 

Steve Savoy– Looking back, that touchdown on the first series against aTm was the first glimpse of Utah as the legitimate big-time football program it has become.

Alex Smith– Simply the best.

Honorable mention:  Weddle, Scalley, Bo Nagahi, Kevin Dyson, Mike Anderson, Jamal Anderson, Chris K., Snoop, the entire 2021 team. 

I also was a big proponent of playing Darnel Arceneaux more…

J Rocksville
      Ute Fan
      @jrocksville

I always thought Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala was fun to watch.

Alex Smith is up there too.

Ty Jordan I thought had some Reggie Bush vibes to him.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Martell Black. The Intermountain Connection always had the good stuff

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

My all-time favorite Utes list has more of a personal touch.

Chris Fuamatu-Maafala: We were roommates our freshman year. Nicest kid…played a mean ukulele. Most people don’t know that his freshman year he was extremely homesick. And he still ran for 1000+ yards.

Chet Blasucci: Again, one of the best people I’ve ever known. We were neighbors after his football career. He got into triathlons and I helped him do his first couple. In exchange he raised my children and provided a better male role model than I was…lol. Now he lives in Idaho Falls and he’s still the best dude ever.

Travis LaTendresse: He went to my high school in CA a few years after me. I was friends with his older brother. He was always a super great athlete, and even being so young, he could kick anyone’s butt at any sport.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I really hope Covey comes back one day to join the coaching staff.  That kid has the ability to raise a program.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Football question of the day