Here’s what I don’t understand about Huntley being named the starter . . .

Viewing 6 reply threads

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

It seems like all camp, when the coaches would talk about the QB race, they made it sound like Williams was more efficient and was taking better care of the football than Huntley(i.e. not turning it over as often). The word on Huntley seemed to be that he was making some big plays on occasion and could extend plays with his legs, but took some unnecessary risks and needed to be more consistent. That tone seemed to carry through the duration of camp.

So, with all of that in mind, why did the coaches pick Huntley?

I know the easy answer is we need someone mobile because maybe the OL isn’t going to be very good, but that doesn’t make sense given the fact that Taylor’s offense is designed to get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly. I just really don’t get this decision.

Obviously I hope the coaches are right and Tyler comes out and wows all of us, but I really worry that Huntley’s inexperience is going to cost us some games early – the BYU game in particular. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I disagree. I think the local yolcals were saying those things. 

Taylor was saying Huntley was a different QB. Much better passer. 

Whitt was saying Huntley was electric, elite athlete. 

I made a ton of posts on Huntley the end of last week because as I went back and listened to the coaches, you could sense them really talking Huntley up. 

When you go back and listen, they love Huntley. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

I didn’t get that impression at all. If you read the camp notes, they say a lot about Huntley and not much about Williams. Even Bateman has more stats that Williams in the recent notes. I still thought Williams would start, but I did think it was strange that we didn’t hear much about his success. This explains why.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

To me it seems like that was coming from the local media. I think it suprised a lot of people but looking back at what the coaching staff has said all camp it kind of makes sense now.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I too worry about Huntley’s inexperience. I’d have liked to see Troy start but Huntley get lots of time. I really hope I’m wrong.

It sounds to me like Huntley was adapting better to the Taylor’s new offense, and just generally showing the most improvement.

This season is going to be very interesting.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Here’s the thing though, we know what we have with Troy.  If you watch the film from the last 1/2 of the year you will find that defenses were confusing him a lot.  He was missing wide open guys because he simple wasn’t making the correct reads.  I love Troy and legitimately feel bad for the kid.  But if the coaching staff thinks Huntley is the best QB we have, or even if they think it’s a dead heat, then Huntely is the obvious choice.  The kid looked good in the limited time we saw him last year.  And let’s face it, you don’t become the Florida State POY without having some goods.  

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

I hear what you are saying, and I want to believe it muchly.

But I still can’t get past the meaningful experience Troy has accumulated starting 13 games last year.

I think part of the blame last year was not just him but play design and dropped balls.

And yes, I feel super bad about the situation too.

Anyway, rooting for Tyler and hope the O line is better at giving him time than everyone expects.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Taylor knows that he’s going to be under a microscope his first year.  The last thing I think he’d want to do is gamble on someone he can’t trust.  If he thinks Huntley’s the man and wants to come out swinging with him when the easy safe pick is to start Williams then let’s rumble.  It makes me think that Huntley is the better pick because it’s the one Taylor is putting all his marbles on.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Hey there Milton, I’ve enjoyed your Youtube videos. Glad to see you on the forum.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I think you have been listening to the radio honks more than listening to what the coaches actually say. Or possibly whatever sports writer has said. Taylor has been consistently complimentary to all of his guys. But like @Utah has said Huntley fits his offense better.

It will come down to the game prep and adjustments being made. Defenses in the PAC always seem to figure out Utahs offense.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Here’s what I don’t understand about Huntley being named the starter . . .