I am both excited and concerned about the 2024 season

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

If Cam Rising finds his groove and stays healthy, the 2024 season could be amazing. A healthy Cam Rising makes things happen. Our passing game and running game will be better. I suspect we will average about 450 yards per game and control TOP.

However, if Cam suffers an injury or setback, I am concerned about the 2024 season. We have three scholarship QBs as of today. We may only have two in spring ball if Wilson is recovering from knee surgery. This is a glaring problem for our team. I am optimistic about the future of Isaac Wilson. But, with no reps in spring ball and likely very limited reps in fall camp, he will not be ready to play in 2024.

I know Whitt and his staff are looking for QBs in the portal. He said he wants to get one or two guys. I assume we tried to get a QB from the portal before school started and we struck out. It is going to be difficult to find someone who realizes he likely won’t start in 2024. We will likely sign someone in May or June, but his preparation will be limited going into the season.

Go Utes!!!

4 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Every team out there is screwed if their QB goes down. Go look at this last bowl season.

1 2

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

This is just not true. There are dozens of examples where the backup came in and did great. Just look at Arizona this year.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Ohio State, Oregon State, Utah, Florida State, Utah, Oklahoma.

But yeah. You hold onto Arizona. Where are your dozens of examples from this last year?

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I believe it will be easier to nab a decent backup QB from the portal after spring ball. I’m sure there will be guys that are at least looking for chances to move up on the depth chart.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

As long as Rose is healthy, I’ll feel better about Utah’s QB situation. I’m not sure what the deal is with Wilson’s injury situation but, for a guy that’s supposed to have surgery, he sure gets around. I mean, he was supposed to have surgery but then he goes to play in the Polynesian Bowl in late January?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Whitt said that when he has surgery is out of his control. Someone on this board indicated he needed a kneecap replaced and they were waiting on a donor match. I had never heard of a kneecap transplant.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

According to this story, the issue is his femur, not his kneecap:

After breaking state records, Isaac Wilson is ready for his next role: Utah quarterback

The one thing that worries me is that the kid hasn’t played one college game and is already having physical issues. Hopefully it doesn’t become a trend.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

Thanks for posting this article. It’s a good read. The article first said it was kneed surgery he needed and then it talks about replacing some femur and cartilage. The bottom line is it will come from a cadaver and they need a match. The article also says he will not be able to walk for three months. So, it is not an easy surgery.

I do love his attitude, especially that he can learn from Cam Rising.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

based on 2023, Wilson will be considered full go and getting starter reps in fall camp while the team anxiously awaits doctor approval

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I am both excited and concerned about the 2024 season