I am hearing great things about our safeties

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Whitt said a few weeks ago that we might have the best pair of safeties in the country. I took that as a bit of hyperbole. But, I am hearing that Vaki is looking amazing and we already know what Bishop can do. On top of that, we have Ritchie (former starter) as a backup. The safety positions look very good for the Utes.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Is Vaki going to be playing opposite of Bishop? For some reason I had expected Vaki to play more of the Nickel, with Ritchie and Bishop as the two safeties. But I have no reason to think that other than my own guess lol

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Vaki and Bishop will be starting safeties. That’s been a pretty consistent message from those in the know. Tao and Snowden are battling for NB.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I am hearing the same thing about our nickle. Sounds like Vaki is locked in at safety. I heard someone compare him to Robert Johnson today. If he plays like RoJo – we have another very good safety. He played both ways in HS and was an excellent WR. We should be much better at safety this season and we have some depth too.

If Vaki and Bishop do was well as expected – they could both jump to the NFL next season. Vaki is just a sophommore, but is a returned missionary.

Ma’ake Kava
      Ute Fan
      @ma-ake

Vaki is amazingly versatile and a freak of nature. 6-0/208, benches 400, 39″ vertical. He could be a NB or even an undersized LB, hits like a freight train. Comparisions to Marquise Blair, in terms of physicality.

If he’s playing Safety in our D, it means he has the defensive playbook down, which is far from being trivial.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Marquise Blair, probably the scariest defender I’ve ever seen wearing a Utah uniform. A receiver would be taking his life into his own hands going down the middle knowing Marquise was waiting for him. If Sione Vaki plays to his level, 2023 will be for sure his last season as a Ute.

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

I loved Blair, but didn’t he have trouble with Targeting? Hopefully Vaki is a bit smarter.

Also, I’m pretty sure he’s a true sophomore, no? Unless you think he’s gonna get lured away by NIL, he’s not going anywhere.

UtesRule
            Ute Fan
            @utesrule

This is Vaki’s 3rd year out of High School.

Yes, Marquis was a targeting machine…that was the frustrating part. I should say, he was penalized for targeting more than his fair share.

RoboUte
            Ute Fan
            @hamplate

Yes. Marquise hit so hard it was clearly audible on television.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Marquise Blair… oh man what a player. Yes he got some targeting calls. Some good. Some bad. When you hit that hard it’s going to happen.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Blair was great but I did not like the way he “tackled” at all. He rarely wrapped guys up, choosing instead to just plow into them with his shoulder. He gave me anxiety every time he made a tackle because there was always the possibility of targeting.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Is this connected to Utah’s best QB and best TE not participating? Or is it a motivating comment from Whitt?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I am hearing great things about our safeties