I hear a lot of people say

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

That Brewer is the first really good QB we have had in years.  This was said on the radio today and many other times in the last week.  Even people on here have posted similar things.  My response is, “What about Huntley?”  He had an amazing season just two years ago.  In my book, he is the third-best QB in Utah football history.  Was Bently so bad that some have forgotten how good Huntley was?

I just don’t get it.  I am a huge Huntley fan for many reasons including what he did on the field.

Go Utes!!!

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Fair or not, it is because Huntley didn’t look that sharp throwing the ball in his first game as a Ute. Granted, Brewer has lots of prior experience, but I don’t recall any Utah QB having as good of a Ute debut as Brewer.

Huntley was great, but I don’t think he was quite as good in his reads as Brewer seems to be currently. Huntley was great in other ways too, however.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

A lot of people say a lot of things. It is unfair to Brewer almost as much as it is to Huntley.
      Huntley was robbed of his senior season in a lot of ways because he had to rehab prior to his last year.

It is nice to see a senior like Brewer cash in so to speak. He made the best of his chances. Oline still has a long way to go with much better competition to see how good Brewer is.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

A few reasons why this might be happening:

1. Recency bias. Brewer just looked so damn smooth in game 1. Yes, it was against Weber, but this is the first time in a LONG time where Utah fans are not griping about the quality of QB play after a game. There’s a lot of excitement because QB was a bit of an unknown going into the season. It’s a huge sigh of relief to see him play the way he did.

2. Fair or not, the last two games Huntley played in straight up sucked, and I think that tends to discolor how people remember him. It really sucks, too, because he was an EXCELLENT QB for Utah. Had the 2019 team won a P12 title and Rose Bowl, he would have been Alex Smith level. 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

First team all Pac12 QB 2019…  (over Justin Herbert)

They are wrong?  That is the answer you are looking for.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

First of all Brewer and Huntley have and are very different QB styles.  One is very smart and will beat you with his smart play while the other is and incredibly girfted athlete.  Huntley would beat teams with his athletism and Brewer will beat teams with a combination of athletism and intelligence.  Not saying Huntley isn’t smart.  He is in own style as well.  

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I think it is mostly because we live in a right now society. History isn’t necessarily considered by a large number of people. I want it now has become the standard.
      Having said that, Brewer seems to be better at getting the ball out quickly. That was especially apparent on the two dropped TD’s against Weber. I’m not sure Huntley could have made those reads and passes.
      I don’t know if Brewer can change a game with his feet the way Huntley could. I am also not sure about the intangibles. We will have to wait and see.
      I do like what I am seeing from Brewer. He looks like a great QB. Let’s see what happens against tougher opponents before we make any definitive assessments.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

Tyler was very good but not great in my book, and the best QB since joining the P12. (better than other recent QBs Troy Williams, Travis Wilson and Jordan Wynn). No par with past greats he is behind Alex Smith and Brian Johnson.

– After a mediocre 2017 season, Tyler led the Utes to a win in the 2017 Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl (2/26, 165 yds, running touchdown)
      – 2018 Tyler led the Utes to a 6-2 record before suffering a season-ending injury against Arizona State.
      – 2019 Tyler led the Utes to a 11-1 record, before running up against Oregon and Texas.
      – 2019 Pac-12 Football Championship Game 17/29, 193 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
      – 2019 Valero Alamo Bowl 15/23, 126 yards, 1 TD

If Tyler takes us to the Rose Bowl, win or lose, then he would have been great.
      No comment on Brewer, after one game.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I hear a lot of people say