If Kyle really wanted to fix our offensive issues, he would . . .

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 6

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

. . . hire an OC that is allowed to bring in his own staff and then run his own offense. 

Name one OC that Whittingham has hired since Ludwig that was allowed to bring in their own offensive staff. There isn’t a single one. 

Schramm, A-Rod, Chow, Johnson, Erickson, Christensen, A-Rod/Harding, and now Taylor have all come in either on their own, or were allowed to bring in one or two guys with them. But none of them have ever been able to bring in their own entire staff.

On top of that, every OC except for Chow, has come in with the condition from Whit that they run an offense with “elements of the spread” in it rather than what might work best for our personnel or what they might be more of an expert in.

These two failures with every hire are every bit as bad as the OC carousel itself.

1 1

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

I would say he did that when he brought in Christensen.  He brought Harding with him from WYO if memory serves me correctly.  I not sure bringing in an entire new staff is common or necessary.  For instance, Troy Taylor may have been the wrong guy to bring from EWU, I believe the other coach on their offensive staff went to Cal.

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Agreed.  I don’t know that it’s common to bring the ENTIRE staff, and I also don’t know how you can argue that Kyle restricted the OCs in any way in terms of who they wanted to bring on.  It’s seems like there are a lot of assumptions going on with this argument…

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Bringing Harding from Wyoming is not bringing in your own staff. Taylor brought a RB coach from E. Washington, again, not a whole staff. 

Here’s why you want your OC to bring in his own guys – Better understanding of the scheme the OC wants to run. This means it can be taught to the players better, and then the players can run it better.

I want an OC who brings in an OL coach that knows HIS offense’s blocking schemes, a QB coach that knows HIS offense’s reads, a WR/TE coach that knows HIS route structures, a RB coach that knows HIS blitz pickups. 

I want an OC who can give us an offense that works.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Shouldn’t the staff “know” the scheme by now?

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I’m sure they do. But, similar to the players, how many schemes have these guys had to learn during their time at Utah? How much further along would we be in the teaching/refining process?

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

I don’t know.  It isn’t exactly high level math or physics.  It’s football plays. 

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

Yes, but as Taylor said repeatedly about his offense when he first got here: His objective is to take something “very complex” and make it simple, like the I-phone.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Chow should have been able to choose his entire staff IMO. Probably Erickson to. Not so sure about the other OCs. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

I agree with your major point. Specifically regarding Taylor, however, how much of a staff could a career HS coach with one year at a FCS school bring with him?

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Ouch.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

You make an excellent point. I would counter that while Taylor probably doesn’t have a ton of contacts, he could probably identfiy coaches who are familiar enough with his scheme that they could be ‘his’ guys. That said, Taylor is probably the one OC who Kyle gets a pass on for not allowing him to bring in his own staff. 

Then again, if Taylor isn’t qualified enough to have his own staff, maybe that is just another indication that he wasn’t qualified to be a Pac-12 OC.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

To counter this, how do you know no one was “allowed” to bring their own staff? What if they did their due diligence and concluded that the present offensive staff would do?

javadave
              Ute Fan
              @javadave

If they did their due diligence and determined the existing staff was good enough, they probably shouldn’t have gotten the OC job.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

I don’t know for sure, but I can’t recall a single report or rumor of the offensive staff being in limbo when Kyle would replace the OC. An announcement would be made that BJ or DC or A-Rod were moving on and then Kyle would name a replacement soon after while all of the other coaches continued to recruit.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If Kyle really wanted to fix our offensive issues, he would . . .