If the forecast is correct

Viewing 6 reply threads
      2 3

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Our game tomorrow will be delayed.  Utah State has already been delayed tonight.  I hate these delays.  These never happened 20-30 years ago.  I guess it’s the safe thing to do, but I still hate them.  They are very disruptive to the continuity of the game.

Jesse
      Ute Fan
      @utesby25

If the game is delayed too long into Sunday morning, will BYU still play?

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Yes, it’s happened before I believe.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Utah State game was delayed 90 minutes.  Some of that was due to the fact that they lost power.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

It was Utah State, so maybe the squirrel running the generator got scared.
        Utah State Generator

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

They didn’t happen 20-30 years ago? They happened, I’m sure you know they didn’t have the protocols we have now. I had a HS game that was canceled because of lightning.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I honestly do not remember one Utah game delayed because of thunderstorms prior to 2000.  It may have happened, but I just don’t remember.  (But I am getting old.)  AND yes the protocols have changed as they probably should.  I just don’t like long delays in the game.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Would you please be more specific?

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I am wondering if this practice came from a specific event. I get that we can be struck and it is a possibility. I am simply trying to understand the incremental difference in risk with people headed to cars etc. like at the HS game tonight. No doubt fishermen come in off the lake when they see lightning. So without challenging the practice, I am just wondering about the math as people scatter to god knows where in a stadium to crowd together in cover during COVID to reduce risk by how much?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Good question. You’re more likely to catch covid than get struck by lightning even out there would be my guess. But I’m sure chances of death are higher with the lightning strike. But if the chances of being struck are so low, it might mathematically be better to wait it out in the rain.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

You’re right – it’s the old “low probability of a high risk outcome vs. high probability of a low risk outcome” debate.

Also, optics come in to play. If a person gets COVID at a football game and dies, they won’t die for at least a week, and you can’t be totally certain they caught it at the game. But if a person gets hit by lightning at a football game and dies? The death is probably immediate and it’s obvious where it happened.

Lightning strikes are the kind of preventable deaths that cause politicians and the public to ask questions. Sadly when someone dies of COVID, most politicians and the public don’t give a crap.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

True. And with a covid death, it would be hard to prove that person actually contracted it at the football game and not at work at the store or somewhere else.

SOWhat
      Ute Fan
      @sowhat

I just checked my weather app, 16% chance of rain. However, we all know that it’s lightning that’s the problem. I believe that 10 miles is the cutoff point, per NCAA.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If the forecast is correct