If we join the BIG12 time to go full Richard III and turn ourselves to villains.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      4 4

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

So, BIG12 fans (getting Grima Wormtongued by our BYU friends) are gettin’ mighty upset that Utah is less than thrilled at the prospect of joining their truckstop conference.

Good. Screw those guys. Screw the midwest. It’s villain time BAYBEEEEE!!!

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Now, to be clear, I don’t actually believe this. I just think these fans are being lame and dumb for Utah being more upset that their conference is crumbling around them and being less than thrilled at the possibility of joining the BIG12.

2 10

UteHorn21
        Ute Fan
        @utehorn21

What I find weird is for some reason y’all feel the PAC12 is a better conference somehow? It’s not in basketball, baseball, and damn sure not football. Very odd…..

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Because we want to be in the big 10 or sec when it’s all said and done. Bug 12 will be just the same as the new pac when it’s time for the super conferences. 

HoosierUte
          Ute Fan
          @hoosierute

For me it’s because believe it or not, cfb is really about regional rivalries. The p12 (and remaining p10) schools were the schools I grew up wanting to see the Utes play. I have been following these schools for years now and it is simply much more compelling for me to watch the Utes play the pac schools than Kansas st or UCF. I have never been interested in the B12 or its schools so the prospect of filling our schedule with B12 leftovers and newly promoted G5s isn’t that exciting. It is what it is. 

1 1

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

I agree with your assessment. I know many people on this board are only interested in a football team that plays at the highest level with a shot at the crystal pointy thing. But, college football, for many fans across the country, is about watching one’s alma mater play the game, sitting at a bar or in a living room with friends and other alums, watching your team play its rival or one of its big games – the Monon Bell game, the Brawl of the Wild, the Biggest Little Game in America, etc. Rather than hope for the top of the pile, I hope to enjoy my team in the struggle as they experience other teams with wonderful histories, beautiful venues, and small town college locales. That is the pleasure of college football.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I have not heard anyone say that the PAC12 has been better in football and basketball the last five years.  In fact, the Big12 is the best basketball conference today IMO.  And, I have not heard that many Ute fans say they would not want to join the Big12.  (This is fake news started by the CB.)  However, in the PAC12, we are in a regional conference and it makes sense that the majority of us would have liked to see the PAC12 survive.  Personally, I do not see the PAC12 surviving.  So, would I welcome a bid to the Big12 or a merger between the two conferences?  Absolutely I would.

I don’t think this is a time for the Utes or any PAC12 team to be arrogant.  As I posted yesterday, I will remain a Ute fan regardless of where we end up.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Truth. We all remember that the team who won the Pac-12 football title last year lost to BYU, San Diego State, and Oregon State.

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

Did I get that wrong? My memory fails me sometimes.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Call me crazy but I’d rather travel to Seattle, Eugene, and Phoenix over Manhattan, Lubbock, and Provo.

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

And as far as travel goes, it’s great to have our football championship and hoops tourneys in Vegas (where most of us can drive there) rather than in (for example) the new Dallas Cowboys stadium (whatever it’s called) or the Alamodome.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Seattle should burn to the ground. Eugene is the place of dreams. Phoenix is hell on earth.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I understand why they feel it is a step down. There is only one somewhat large city in the conference, blue bloods are moving on. Salt Lakers are about comfort and prestige.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

For me, I’m not excited about being a member of a conference that requires annual travels to Cincinnati, Morgantown, and Orlando for our athletes.  It’s one thing to make regular east coast visits when you’re getting paid $50-100M per year, but we won’t be seeing that kind of scratch in the Big 12.

And don’t get me wrong…I have nothing against the Bearcats.  I think they’re a fine program.  But they’re not the sort of program that really excites the nation, “must see TV” style.

Since the L.A. schools are on their way out, and the Pac-12 had opted to scrap the “division” setup, I wouldn’t have a problem with replacing the Bruins and Trojans with Okla St, Tx Tech, TCU, and Bylr.  Those are respectable football programs.

4 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

BYU knows deep down we would immediately relegate them to the other team in the state, but this time without any room for doubt, if we join the big12. When we weren’t in the same conference they could argue that the pac12 was bad, or point to our poor OOC. They can’t do that if we are in the same conference.

if we join the Big12, they would be just like Oregon State, Cal, or Arizona… just in the Big12.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

The Big12 members were already a little sensitive about their reputation because the conference took a HUGE hit last year by losing UT and OU, and having to backfill with G5 teams that no P5 conference wanted until desperation struck (horrible decision in hindsight, but whatever).

When they see teams like Utah, Washington, Oregon, and ASU express disappointment, it’s a reminder to them that the Big12 is the conference of castoffs and misfits and continues to be – so they lash out as a defense mechanism and direct their anger and hate to the “elitist, conceited, and entitled” newcomers.

Here’s the thing, though. Ute fans aren’t disappointed about joining the Big12. It just takes a little time to process the reality of going from a stable conference with a blueblood, to one that will always be on tenuous footing (along with the ACC) if the B1G/SEC ever pushes to add more teams. Remember, we’re less than a year removed from when the existing Big12 members begged other conferences to let them in when their bluebloods left.

If Utah joins, it will be a really entertaining conference and I’ll enjoy it. But going from a conference where USC is the biggest team to one where Oklahoma State is the top dog…..is quite a change, and some fans are going to complain. Those who complain the loudest are magnified and shotgunned across social media, and then broad brushes are used to paint the entire Ute fanbase as delusional, entitled, and conceited. It’s not true, of course, but people need a villain and right now Utah is getting its share of ire because Ute twitter has a big presence and is very vocal. This is both good and bad.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If we join the BIG12 time to go full Richard III and turn ourselves to villains.