@sweetgrass

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Isn’t this the first installment?

sweetgrass
        Ute Fan
        @sweetgrass

It says it’s the first, but wasn’t there a different one released a week ago?

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

That’s pretty good.  Walker Field was on Main Street and 9th South.  The pictures they show at the beginning are obviously from Cummings Field, which was located on campus just north of where RES is today.

Also–they didn’t go 1-2 in 1892, They went 0-1.  The 1-2 season was in 1894.  But whatever.

I’m surprised they didn’t include the color footage of the 1939 Sun Bowl game as well as footage from the 1957 Army game, which were both very significant games for Utah.  Footage from these games still exists including video of the original “Utah Pass’ which debuted in the Army game.

But most of all, they should have at least made mention of the annual Thanksgiving Day rivalry game against the Aggies.  It was always the pinnacle of the season and produced some pretty outstanding–if not legendary–games.

I’m just sayin’.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

One more thing–if 1892 was “the official birth of Utah football” as stated in the clip, then shouldn’t we be celebrating the 126th anniversary of the program right now?

voxnihili
        Ute Fan
        @voxnihili

Well… It depends on who you ask. According to the NCAA, Utah only played one official game in 1892, losing to the cow college up north. That said, the team from the University of Utah also played two games against the SLC YMCA (winning one 4-0, and losing one 0-4). Perhaps whoever made the video wanted to acknowledge all games played and not just the NCAA-recognized game.

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

I’m just going from the Utah Football media guide.  It says we played one game in 1892 (12-0 loss to the Aggies).  I figure that’s the definitve source for Utah football records.

By the way, the media guide indicates we’re 0-5 all time against the YMCA.  WTF?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football if you haven’t seen the second installment of these, they are exceptional