Jayce Johnson

Viewing 6 reply threads
      8 3

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

We put up with his uncoordinated, lanky ass for 3 years and now that he’s turned in to some what of a serviceable player he’s going to leave? How often does a player put their name in the transfer portal but not transfer?

8 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Meh. We can find other guys to stand there with their hands in the air on defense and miss free throws

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

Everybody needs to get over this!

He was a good prospect, when we recruited him. He played behind some better players, and probably helped develop them. He had a lot of unfortunate injuries along the way that severely hampered his development, and then, when we needed him most, he started to really make progress until… again, injuries hammered his growth.

Life is a bitch!

Some people have genetic difficulties (like with their feet – when they are 7′ tall), that not they, their parents, their coaches, or anyone else could predict.  Yet they go on.  They keep working toward their goals and the goals of the institution that pays the scholarship.  Jayce certainly did that.  And he got closer to maximizing his potential, through hard work, this last year – before the last setback.  And he succeeded!  Was he not looking like a player about to break out and thrive before his last injury?  From everything I’ve read and heard, there was no one that worked harder.

Now, he is thinking about transferring, which must be rooted in a combination of:

1. some discomfort about his current physical situation,

2. his goals and dreams from 5 years ago when he was recruited, vs. where he is now in attaining them, 

3. his fears about where he might fit next year in a program that seems dramatically unstable year to year, and might plug someone else into his place.

4. all of the above, leading him to want to evaluate other opportunities.

As far as I’m concerned, his development, but more importantly his effort toward that development against his injury setbacks, earns him the Ute of the Year, last year.  He progressed!  But then, again, life’s a bitch, and here comes another injury.

I’d love to have him stay, but after all he’s been through, I AM NOT going to sit here in the comfort of my den, and RIP him from my computer, if his life takes him somewhere else.

Instead, I’ll thank him for being a UTE, in every way, while he was here, and wish him nothing but the best.

Thanks Jayce!

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

Nice try Jayce Johnson’s mom

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

I agree with you, if he is uncomfortable here he should transfer, I was just making a joke. It’s funny that we had to suffer watching him play and as soon as he gets decent he’s transferring

belli1976
        Ute Fan
        @belli1976

I am suggesting number 5. He is focusing on a career outside basketball and wants to go to a school with a grad program better than what the U offers.

Career wise bachelors are good but not as meaningful as they once were.

3 5

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

6. He wants to play in the NCAA tourney and he knows Coach K isn’t capable of getting him there.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Well that is a kick in the nuts. 

belli1976
        Ute Fan
        @belli1976

He is visiting Nebraska. Not sure the tourney is a priority.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

7. Jayce wants to play in the NCAA tourney and knows that Jayce isn’t capable of getting us there.

4 1

EastCoastUte
      Ute Fan
      @eastcoastute

chill, Jayce is leaving due to personal issues in his life. he knows he’ll be the starting guy for utah next year but there are other factors that comes to play on why hes leaving. its has nothing to do with him trying to get into a better program to make to the NCAA.

think about it, hes a center on his last year and hes going to try and compete for a spot in a team that can make it to the NCAA next year? no, he will need to learn and master the system. something you really can’t do in 1 year. he was better off staying at utah but sht happens.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Same story different person. Eventually this becomes a Coach K problem.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.