long term brand appeal?

Viewing 4 reply threads

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Don’t think “this year”… think overall brand strength in a neutral year….. propensity for networks to schedule us.  Excitement of other out of conference teams in scheduling us.  Desire of bowls to invite us….

These are the top 3 brands in the Pac-12 in terms of name cache.  

USC

Oregon

Washington

Where does Utah sit after that?  Who is ahead of us beyond those three?  UCLA?  Stanford?  ASU?  What do we have to do to become undisputed #4 (or higher).

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

For starters, I think we have to win against the Buckeyes and be successful next year too.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

2 rose bowls in 3 years would be a great start. Something i think we have a legitimate shot at.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Obvious statement: Pac12 after dark needs to go. It’s cute and funny but it hurts Utah more than helps. 
      Utah thrashing Oregon in primetime was so helpful. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

UCLA might actually be #2 or 3. California is a huge state and let’s not pretend like there are any Cal or Stanford fans here. Hell, if you go out to the central valley you’ll find more die hard Fresno fans than you will find Cal or Stanford fans throughout the entire state.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

IMO, UCLA could be the #2 or #3 if they put together some good seasons. But as things currently stand, I would not put them above USC, Oregon, Washington. 

As for Northern California (outside the Bay Area) and Central Valley, I agree that it is definitely not Stanford or Cal territory. 

In the vacuum of loyalty left by the non-appeal of Stanford and Cal (pretty much Bay area only), and no major college team in the Sacramento metro area, the FBS team that seems to fill the void the most is Oregon. Fresno State definitely has fans (particularly in Fresno). But Oregon flags, bumper stickers, etc. are the most common.  

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The record doesn’t matter as far as brand goes. If that were the case, USC would be #8. California is huge. Oregon and Washington cant hold a candle to it. Oregon might have more brand appeal than UCLA due to Nike only. It has absolutely nothing to do with football. Take a look at Texas. It’s the #1 brand in the country, yet they’ve never been dominant for an extended period.

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

True – I was thinking in terms of football brand only. But in terms of overall brand, UCLA is a top brand. Oregon’s brand is primarily in football. Same with UW. 

Brettski
        Ute Fan
        @brettski

100% agree.  I lived in the Bary Area for 10 years and nobody ever talked about local (Stanford/Cal) football.  Baseball, NFL and the Warriors are what anybody in the Bay Area cares about.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Oh yeah. They’ve their Giants, 9ers, and Warriors especially.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Three things.  Win, Win and Win!!! 

Repeat for for at least 4 years

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football long term brand appeal?