Lowell Lotulelei … injured or overrated?

Viewing 9 reply threads
      7 5

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

This is the Lowell we’ve been hearing about – This is from the media guide.

Lotulelei is a three-time All-Pac-12 selection (fi rst team in 2014) and
      four-year starter who has played in 45 of 46 games in his career (missed
      one game in 2016 due to an injury) with 37 starts.

If you haven’t watched him, just pull up ANY conference game this year and you’ll see he’s turned into a big do nothing blob. Slowest guy off the line of scrimmage and ends every play right where he starts – both feet glued to the turf at the line of scrimmage. If he were drawing a double team, this would be wonderful, but he’s not. He is taken out of the play by 1 guy, 100% of the time, on the line of scrimmage. For sure, part of our lack of pressure problem. The dude cannot push himself through a wet paper bag. I’ve also noticed (thank goodness) his reps are being taken by Pita Tonga, John Penisini, and Hauati Pututau.

2 2

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

“Lowell is taken out of the play by 1 guy 100% of the time 

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I agree that our D-Line isn’t getting the pressure that we’re used to seeing. I’m not sure what the cause is though. I wouldn’t pin it on one individual.

shakeitsugaree
        Ute Fan
        @shakeitsugaree

I agree that the ‘blame’ can’t be on a single individual

I haven’t seen Lowell do anything except swallow up double teams, but I will admit that I haven’t focused specifically on him most plays

Someone I did notice during the ASU game is Anae – trying to do too much. He overpursues a lot, and seems to be out of position quite often too. These things are probably symptoms of youth, and seem correctable on a pretty short time frame. I’m sure Powell is working with him on it.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

Lowell is not a pass rush guy..he is a lock down the middle And make your interior run defense good almost by himself because he eats 2 o lineman and still clogs the hold type of guy 

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

@rbmw263 watch a conference game and get back to me. He does not draw a double team, ever!

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

@KiYi-Ute not pinning it on one individual. Maybe re-read what I posted?

For sure, part of our lack of pressure problem.

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

The defensive line as a whole has been very unimpressive this year.  Very few sacks, very few hurries, and very few holding calls because of their pass rush. 

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

But wait, I thought Lewis Powell was doing a great job with the D-line? Look at all the sacks we get. #troll reply

2 5

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Dumbest thing I have read today and it is only 11 am. 

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

@BatttleGroundUte you too maybe need to watch a conference game. I’m not wrong.

ragtownute
      Ute Fan
      @ragtownute

It’s not just Lowell. The whole defensive line plays soft with no heart and no urgency. This is what a Utah defense looks like with no athletic freaks like Pita and Nate harassing the QB. And where the hell is the nickel blitz all year? I’m all over the place…unlike the defense. 

1 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

No heart and urgency? Or maybe they are a bunch of freshman and sophomores learning the game? 

They are playing with heart and urgency. They are also being asked to do more than most at their experience level. They will be unstoppable in a year. 

ragtownute
          Ute Fan
          @ragtownute

Right, this line is gonna kill it when Lowell, Mokofisi, and Fitts aren’t here next year….then what’s the excuse? The starters are all sophomores and juniors, so give them time? This line looks uninspired. There’s no fire on those boys’ faces this year. 

1 1

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

5 thumbs down. Seems to be the M.O. around here. Criticism of anything Utes… Thumbs down. 

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

So no one has said anything about Lowell being injured. Question answered.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

He is injured. He was diagnosed with incurable chronic explosive deficiency syndrome. No known cure.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Lowell Lotulelei … injured or overrated?