Josh
      Ute Fan
      @skijosh

Josh
      Ute Fan
      @skijosh

Some key numbers from the article:

-Viewership was 10.9 million.
      -Previous Rose Bowl low was 13.6 million (2016).
      -Still the most-watched non-playoff bowl this year; 2nd was Sugar Bowl at 9.6 million.
      -Semifinals drew 21.7 million and 22.4 million, respectively.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

The article is behind a paywall so I can’t check. All I could see was that the previous low was for Stanford-Iowa (Friday, Jan 1, 2016). #5 v #6 but two very small fanbases.

The better comparison would be the 2017 Rose Bowl between SC & Penn State which was also on Monday, Jan 2.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

This was not a good time slot or match-up for the neutrals.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Not surprising. The playoff games were two days prior. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

This is why you don’t move a game that’s literally always been played on New Year’s Day. January 2 was a horrible day for a game – a lot of people didn’t have the day off work.

Screw the NFL.

tedward
        Ute Fan
        @tedward

The Rose Bowl has never been played on a Sunday. The fact that this game was played in this time slot has nothing to do with the NFL. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

I stand corrected. But my points remain:

1. Playing the game on January 2 hurt the ratings.
          2. Screw the NFL.

MauchDawgUte
      Ute Fan
      @mauchdawgute

Given the outcome, maybe this was the best case scenario. 😉

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Bowl games are always a crap-shoot. I hardly ever watch them.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Non-competitve games don’t draw well. Utah sucked and didn’t make it worth watching. Still the highest rated non CFP game. 

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

Tied until the 3rd quarter

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Yeah, but Utah looked janky and boring. It was an unexciting and unexceptional game and didn’t lure in casual viewers. High-scoring, back-and-forth, close games always do better with TV ratings. That’s a big reason why last year’s Rose Bowl was was so highly viewed. It’s why this year’s CFP games broke viewership records.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

So games like the Cotton Bowl? Wait, Rose Bowl was still higher. No one knows what the game will be like until it’s being played.

UteFanatic
              Ute Fan
              @utefanatic

I mean, you can always point to exceptions but in general, high-scoring offensive shootouts get more viewers than boring, low scoring, ugly games.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

you’re not wrong. although i think playing games at 2 pm local time on a school day is a bigger factor than the type of offenses featured.

DataUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @scotwaye

Kids had school on Jan 2? Man, your district must suck. Bank holiday, Markets closed -it was New Year’s Day observed. My kids don’t go back until Jan 10!

2008 National Champ
                    Ute Fan
                    @cptmrgn05

sorry, maybe that was a local colloquialism. work=school, i.e. can’t go to the bar because it’s a school night.

It may have been a bank/government holiday but not all of us work for those entities. Just like the morning bowls on Jan 2, the audience was reduced because many who would have Jan 1 off don’t have the same luxury.

DataUte
                Ute Fan
                @scotwaye

I’m not totally sure when they ‘count’ how many viewers there are as people come and go, but the point remains that the Rose Bowl was the most watched game other than CFP. Likely other factors (day, time) than how the game went. Maybe it would have gone up if it was like last year’s back and forth and high scoring affair, but who will ever know. Might have been destined to be the lowest watched Rose Bowl no matter what as it needed 2.7M more viewers to tie the previous low. Maybe no one like Penn St. haha.

UteFanatic
                  Ute Fan
                  @utefanatic

That’s the theory I’m going with. America is simply repulsed by an institution that allowed pedophilia and molestation to go on for years. 

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Still the most watched non-playoff game. The Sugar Bowl was the second least watched sugar bowl in at least 30 years (after 2016, which was the lowest in 25 years) but hey let’s s**t on the rose bowl.

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

Guess I could look it up but, wasn’t last year’s the most watched

Nope guess it got 16.9mil

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Lowest Views Ever for Rose Bowl