McKay Hillstead is in the portal

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

He led Skyridge to the 6A state football championship in 2022. Utah State recruited him. He got to start for a few games as a true freshman and did not do badly until he got injured. I loved watching him in high school. He made things happen. He was an amazing runner.

Should we be interested in him? He would not be our future at QB. However, he could be in the QB room this year in case of an emergency. He could redshirt and then move to a different position next spring. He is a great athlete but a bit small at 5’10”.

I would take a chance on him right now because we lack depth. Come this fall, Wilson may not be available due to surgery or Rose may decide not to play and go to the portal if Wilson is announced as QB2. I realize we will be looking at other QBs in the portal, but if no better option becomes available – I would take Hillstead. I think he was a 4-year starter at Skyridge.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

*McCae. Interesting. Started 4 games at Utah State.

From the transfer portal thread below, we take McCae Hillstead, the guy Bryson Barnes is forcing out. lol.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

He probably wants a place where he has a chance to start and it seems pretty clear that this is Wilson’s team in the future. So if the Utes could get him, then great. That’s more depth. But if I were him, I’d look elsewhere.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Bryson Barnes took his spot? I mean that is one way of looking at it. You can say Utah needs to take what it can get. I do think the Coaches can do better.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I realize that this thread was started because you have some familiarity with the kid so I’m not knocking you.

At the same time, I would hope the staff is looking further afield than 45 minutes north or south to fill spots. When Jaden Rashada is available and reportedly considering going to Georgia where he would compete with other 4 or 5 stars for the right to hold a clipboard, that is the level of talent that I want the staff to be chasing. If Dante Moore (also someone thrown into the fire as a true freshman) is willing to sit behind Dillon Gabriel for a year, the argument that no one will come to Salt Lake because of Cam rings hollow. Moore can’t be the only one.

If Hillstead wants to walk on, great. But an undersized local QB who never held a Utah offer shouldn’t be a priority when there are kids Utah had a previous relationship with (there were some who considered Utah a true possibility for Rashada before Florida’s huge NIL offer) become available. And if you, as a fan don’t think Hillstead’s ceiling isn’t at least starter at Utah, why would you want him on the team? Roster filler is just that.,, until your team is forced into the position of having to play roster filler like we watched in 2023.

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Preach 2008 natl champ. This isnt a church league.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I want to get the best possible QB in the portal. But, with Rising being our starter, it seems like it will be difficult to find any 4-star caliber kids who would be willing to make that change.

I think McCae is a “bulldog” and may surprise some people in spite of his size. That being said, as I posted in my initial post, I am only looking for depth in the QB room for 2024.

To those who posted that Barnes bumped Hillstead out – I am not sure that this is the case. (I don’t know.) My understanding was that there were three guys including Barnes and Hillstead battling for the starting position. McCae may have been 2nd on the depth chart and Barnes 3rd. But yes, I want something better than Barnes.

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

All I know is guys competing for the USU starter job including Legas have hit the portal, Barnes seems to be ultimo hombre… (Last man standing to you gringos) haha

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I agree and wish Utah was chasing after players like Rashada. However, I’d be willing to bet teams like Georgia have far deeper NIL pockets than Utah has and can throw enough money to a guy like Rashada for him to consider being their 3rd or 4th string QB holding a clipboard while trying to compete to move up the depth chart vs going to a place where he’d be higher on the depth chart but with nowhere near the amount of money.I only mention this because I have friends who attended a recent Crimson Club Luncheon?? or some Luncheon where Whitt spoke (some of you may have been there)…and they said Whitt was vocally frustrated with NIL and how much harder it’s making things for all involved. Made me think/worry this could very well end up being Whitt’s last year, just like Saban and other longtime coaches finding the new world of NIL just isn’t worth their time sticking around for.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

Agree MD, KW making one last run this year. Ride off in his truck with Rising, Ludwig, Kuithe, and Bernard. All of the above and others I am missing have given their all for the UofU program. Good time to call it a career considering the volatility ahead facing college sports. Hopefully KW stays visible in the Ute football consulting role supporting Scalley as noted in his contract.

Not sure why a QB good enough to start some where else would come to Utah. Ride with Rose and Wilson. QBs coming in now will be off the back playing catch up learning Ludwigs system while taking reps from Rose and Wilson. Rose won’t stick around if Utah grabs a QB in the portal. I get game experience is important, but at this point is a worthy QB looking for a team to be a back up knowing Wilson is the future really out there? Utah has created it’s own problem to an extent allowing your back-up last year to get hurt in a live scrimmage which I don’t know of one college team outside of Utah that lets their QBs go full contact live in Spring or Fall camp. Add in Utahs history of poor QB recruiting and development, here we are. Give Wilson and Rose all the back up reps and for god sakes protect your QB similar to what Oregon and UW did with their QBs. GO Utes!

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

I think if Utah can pursue another talented 3-star or 4-star QB in the portal and get them to come to Utah I would go that route. They should quit go after second best. I’m not certain Utah has to beg players to come here, I believe if its a good fit and price is right (involves NIL), then want know go after a talented QB. If they are shooting for a Big12 title, I don’t believe Hillstead would be a good idea for Utah.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Wilson is the qb of the future. Hillstead is the real deal and would be a great add if he was willing.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I completely agree that Isaac Wilson is our QB of the future.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Rashad’s ego is too big to consider Utah. He would want NIL money that could go to contributing starters. I would wait and see who is left in the portal. Not everyone in the portal is going to get the $$ they want. Most of them will try and sign with G5 or FCS teams for playing time for next year. Utah doesn’t have NIL money for possible 3rd or 4th team QBs. Local kids should fill the roles and be able to play for a great program.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football McKay Hillstead is in the portal