My impressions after watching this game

Viewing 4 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Positives: Jordan, Sewell, the secondary not getting absolutely shellacked (really young, playing against very veteran very talented passing team)… The defense as a whole is solid as usual. Redding made a field goal. Ultimately, the outcome wasn’t nearly as bad as it felt. We lost by two scores to a team with more experience (both in this season and the last previous seasons).

Negatives: offensive line, again, for the millionth time in a row, was bad bad bad. The quarterbacks are not as good as what we were led to believe (Bentley throws another pick, while tossing an ill-advised bomb while on the run) not even close, our running backs aside from Jordan have seemingly not improved one bit since last year, brumfield still lacks vision, and Willmore can’t gain yards when he is hit at the line of scrimmage. Very vanilla game plan on offense. No creativity on first down. It seemed like Both Bentley and Ludwig had absolutely no faith in the passing game, a bunch of runs, check downs, and desperation bombs into triple coverage. 

Question marks: Why is the offensive line so bad? Is it because they’ve had COVID issues and haven’t practiced as a unit much? Is it because they suck? Is it bad coaching?

Can Bentley play better with more time to throw, and more preparation as the starter going into next week (just assuming Rising is out next week), or is he just terrible in general? It is really hard to tell.

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Why would the online improve over the off-season? They were terrible last year. Never understood why people though they’d all of a sudden be better. Huntley did nothing but scramble the entire season. Now we have QBs that can’t scramble.

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

The OL started 3 freshman, that isn’t an excuse for how poorly they played all night, but it does explain some of the issue.

homer
        Ute Fan
        @homer

Pass blocking is much harder than run blocking. Oblock might have raw talent, but it takes reps to learn to work together, pick up twists, blitzes and stunts.

The question I have is can Harding teach good pass blocking techniques? So far during his tenure, I’m not convinced he does.

BJA 13
      Ute Fan
      @bja13

I don’t think Bentley has very good arm strength. 

Too much air under most of those balls and couldn’t get the ball down field.   

However, Pretty good pocket presence and avoiding the rush.   

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

avoiding the rush doesn’t help if you just chuck it downfield into double coverage every time you avoid a sack. Everything about Bentley is bad bad bad. We would have been more effective putting a punt returner back there to avoid the rush and at least try to gain some yards on the ground rather than turning it over time and time again.

UteBiz08
      Ute Fan
      @utebiz08

Agreed on all points. O-line issues again…my biggest concern, to your point, was the vanilla play calling. The game looked like something that would have been called playing Weber State or Northern Illinois to start the season. This was a ranked SC team. You’re telling me that’s all we had on the shelf?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I have to wonder if Ludwig and Co knew our offensive line was in big trouble, which is why they went so vanilla with the plays.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My impressions after watching this game