New Commit – Thomas Yassmin

Viewing 6 reply threads

32utahutes
      @32utahutes

Newest commit is a rugby player from Australia who has already signed (it’s Wednesday there). We have him listed as a TE but he’s 6-4 250 lbs and runs a 4.5 40. Athletic is heck. Obviously he’ll need some coaching to learn the ins and outs of football, but I have a really good feeling about this kid. He also picked up an offer from UCLA and Oregon and Washington also showed interest so it’s not like we were the only one’s interested in him. Another reason I’m optimistic is because we are limited on scholarships for this class and we were willing to give him one and take up a spot. He’ll redshirt this year and probably won’t play the year after that either, but in 2 or 3 years from now, I think he will make an impact. I’m excited. Your thoughts? 

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Looks like a great pickup. Big and athletic, could play TE or DE. Here is a nice video analysis of him from UteZone:

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/Signing-Day-Profile-Thomas-Yassmin-114747386/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

hoht801
      Ute Fan
      @hoht801

Here is Thomas Yassmin’s highlight video from last season. That’s impressive. 

32utahutes
      @32utahutes

User Suspended
      @a2ute

sigh…

Image result for diamonds in the rough

32utahutes
        @32utahutes

Right on queue, Pace. Have fun with the negativity while we watch our program grow 🙂 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

6’4″, 250#, runs a 4.5s 40, is athletic and very shifty, and is tough as nails. 

You would find ways to complain about Alabama’s recruits.

2 3

User Suspended
          @a2ute

Didnt kwhitt try this rugby guy thing a few years ago…  Poly, forgot his name.  Utah fans were jizzing their pants….bascially never played. 

You pull this kind of desperate move when you dont land enough quality *4 star players.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Thretton Palamo

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

“Quality” 4* kids don’t always work out either.  You’re cheering for the wrong team if you’re expecting 4-5* kids on a regular basis.  Utah has a chance with a few each year and usually get 3-4.  Why you expect more than that is beyond me.  Az, Colorado, Wazzu, Cal, Az St, Oregon st get fewer than we usually do and we have only been P5 for 6 years.  

1 2

User Suspended
              @a2ute

Simple answer…the Utes need to beat USC, UCLA, WA, Stanford, and AZ st and Cal typically get more *4.

Utah WILL NOT win a PAC12 championship simply by being the little engine that could. They need better players.

Forgive me for wanting something more than a magical season.  If kwitt could recruit just a little better the Utes would be in a much better position.

gUrthBrooks
                Ute Fan
                @hammer

Simple request: please rank those cities/states (including UT) in order of which you would prefer to live as an 18 year old.

User Suspended
                  @a2ute

South Bend, Watts, Norman, Lincoln, Detroit, Eugene

Typicall mormon crutch excuse.

You build it they will come 

RiseasUtes
                Ute Fan
                @riseasutes

We aren’t going to out recruit USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, or Stanford often or at all.  We may beat them for a kid here and there, but it doesn’t matter what coach we have we aren’t going to have bigger classes than them.  That’s why what coach Whitt has done is so impressive.  He beats these teams with lower ranked players quite often.  Yes, it would be nice to do it all the time and win the division regularly, but it just isn’t realistic.  Magic seasons will happen, but not every year.

1 3

User Suspended
                  @a2ute

Look I get it. 

It’s the chicken or the egg quagmire 

You have to win to get players but you need players to win.  At some point kwhitt is going to have to break the ceiling on one or both of these things. 

My point is Ute fans need to view recruiting with the  same scrutiny as kwitts W/L record. This recruiting class equals a 6-6 record maybe 7-5. Not good enough for the future.

Anonymous
                    Inactive

This is where I disagree with you. The fact is that we do get players from unconventional places. You brought up Thretton Palamo, but you ignore Tom Hackett. We have many more successes than failures in this regard. Players like Star. This year we will have two 4-star players join our team who will not count toward the class, three if you count Tareke Lewis.

I agree that the goal HAS to be to out recruit our conference peers and to make noise on a national level. We’ll have to scratch and claw our way up that ladder. I think sending so many players to the next level last year was a seminal point in the growth of the program.

I maintain that this year is pivotal for us.

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

I hope we can make something of him.  However, after the Paloma guy, I’m holding off on my excitement for a while.

Anonymous
        Inactive

They tried Palamo at TE, but he couldn’t catch the ball. This Aussie kid can catch and he’s faster than Palamo.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Every kid that joins will have multiple P5 offers…every one of them. That’s a first I think.

Mataafa, Pirtle and Tenny Pututau bring 3 – 4 star linebackers to the group. Pace, I think even you would agree that’s one of the biggest positions of need and it’s been addressed.

Steal Solomon Enis and that’s another 4 star WR to add to Hampton, Boyd and Thompson…forget the 2 star little engine that could in Covey. Many more to come the next few years.

Add a top 10 – 4 Star QB (when has that ever happened) in Tuttle to the QB room that’s already pretty strong.

Pick up a few impact offensive and defensive lineman in Daniels, Cravens, Kump (high 3 star) and Lotulelei…to go along with an outstanding group last year.

Add a Tareke Lewis who doesn’t count in this class to one of the best secondaries in the country.

Add a 3 Star 220 lb RB in Brumfield who holds offers from West Virginia, Texas Tech, Mississippi St and Missouri

Quality class that addresses needs that last year’s top 25 Class did not hit…very deep group.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

FYI, they all count.  Lewis still counts as 1 scholarship out of 85 that we can have in the program.  Some teams lose more players to the draft/nfl than other years.  They are allowed to fill those spots up to 85.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Commit – Thomas Yassmin