New owner at UF.N?

Viewing 5 reply threads
      2 1

BulgieUte
      Ute Fan
      @bulgieute
      Kimberlee
      Hey utefans. My name is Kim and I believe we all have one thing in common. Bring my brothers legacy back to life. Let’s work together as a family!!
      Spread the word. Utefans has a new owner.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Where’s this from?  Does she know PHP/HTML/CSS/JS/MYSQL ? 🙂

BulgieUte
        Ute Fan
        @bulgieute

It’s from Chris’s sister on facebook private message. I have no idea what will come from it.

IrieUte
          Ute Fan
          @irieute

I also have no idea what will come from it (Im chris’s youngest brother) But keeping Utefans out of Karas hands and allowing the site to continue seems like a good idea to me. Maybe a volunteer mod or two could pitch a few ideas to her about easy upgrades?

Go Utes!

KonaUte
            Ute Fan
            @konaute

Was Chris legally divorced from Kara then?  I would assume so if your sister is taking over uf.net. 

BulgieUte
              Ute Fan
              @bulgieute

Kim is not taking over, she’s just the messenger.

execUTEioner
                Ute Fan
                @executeioner

I’m in that private thread also. There’s been a more recent development. Stay tuned!

Stradlater
        Ute Fan
        @stradlater

Ajax. This is a vintage site we’re talking about.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Oh I think it pre-dates ajax!  

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’ve been the biggest homer/defender of UF.N. 

That being said, Tony has done a wonderful job here and it might be time to rally around one site and not fracture the fanbse. 

Stradlater
          Ute Fan
          @stradlater

Would it really be UF.N anymore anyway?

EUte
          Ute Fan
          @eute

The number of fans interacting regularly on message boards constitutes a tiny percentage of the overall fanbase.  The more successful and active sites there are to fill the various niches, the better.  I know Tony himself has said on more than one occasion that a rising tide lifts all boats.

That said, UFN would obviously take some work to salvage.  Whether or not that particular site is part of the mix remains to be seen… but it’s great to have an array of forums out there. That fosters more fan involvement overall, and helps fuel passion for our athletic programs.

BulgieUte
          Ute Fan
          @bulgieute

When both were up and running I visited both so for me one did not take away from the other. Is my message board use unique? Do most people here have an exclusive message board they stick to?

Daedalus
            Ute Fan
            @daedalus

Well, right now the caption over the header is ‘Frrrrrt’. I’d love to get my hands on that code and its post history but the site needs more than a Facebook announcement to come back from the dead, no distasteful pun intended. 

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Yeah that “Frrrrrt” is like someone’s first day with php:

echo “Frrrrrt”;

“Wonder if this works? Hey it does!”

Then forget to remove it LOL.

execUTEioner
                Ute Fan
                @executeioner

They are working their way up to “hello world!”.

execUTEioner
              Ute Fan
              @executeioner

I threw together a scraper and crawled the post history to preserve it as a precaution. Over 1.8 million posts. The site needs a complete re-write. 15-year-old PHP spaghetti code is no fun to maintain.

Tacoma Ute
            Ute Fan
            @tacomaute

I used to toggle back and forth between UFN and da Hub. I think having them both actually helps drive traffic to both boards. Just my opinion.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

As someone that used to write code for a living and given the age and recent issues that board experienced even when Monkey was alive and would try to fix things, I don’t see how it is feasible to get it back up and running without a major, major investment of time and energy.

A volunteer moderator will not be sufficient to get the job done.

1 1

MemoryofKosh
      Ute Fan
      @memoryofkosh

Evening All. Your resident lurking Vorlon (Babylon 5 reference) here to say a few words about BulgieUte’s original post.

I do not know anything about HTML coding etc anymore.. I stopped trying to keep up with a Speed-of-light learning curve back in 2000. My gift is for human languages and communication/empathy; not that of machines and AI.

That said, I’m prepared to invest some money if necessary to ensure that AT THE VERY LEAST we find a way to maintain UF.N as a legacy site any and all can go back and relive the glories of watching Utah’s ascent to the very top of BB fame, and then watch the never-would-have-believed-it-transition from BB school to true FB school over a decade. The Athletic program is at an overall level none of us could have truly dreamed of back when Majerus and Andre took us to the championship. UF.N says on ts front page that it was founded in 1998; not exactly sure about that date, but if accurate it means it is a true treasure remaining from the earlier years of the Web.

I’ve shed more than a few tears this week as I thought of the tragedy of watching our huge family fracture and scatter after so very very long. You all know how we made friends across the country from places like Iowa State and Georgia Tech, that we never would have encountered before. Thanks to the teams and our community’s interaction with guest fans on that site, it would be truly sad if we lost THEM as well as any from our own community.

So Bulgie, I’m willing to stand behind you in spirit, to keep Chris’ masterwork alive (hopefully more than in spirit); he beame a true friend to this lonely Fan and showed me the way into a tailgate cimmunity for the first time in my life. I have no desire to see his hard work fade away. You can reach me if necessary at the following sources:

Email: Utahrangerone@yahoo.com
      Twitter: @voranek
      Facebook: Shawn L. Putnam (SLC)

I hope some of the rest of you will consider joining me in keeping our old community spirit alive!

Memory of Kosh

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I’ve mentioned before that I’d be willing to host a historical record here of the UFN posts. I could do the work to make them available somehow if I got a copy of the database.

I even considered doing a fundraiser her (can’t help laughing writing that) to get members to chip in and buy out UFN.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I can’t even get a the shell of the former site to come up today. I guess it’s been taken down completely.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Out of curiosity I went there yesterday. It was gone.

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

It’s sad, there were some fun times on that site. Same with this site though. I guess we’ll just have to continue to make new memories.

UTman
      Ute Fan
      @utman

Apparently there is still a very faint heartbeat at Utefans.net.

Should Utafans.net come back?

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

They got it turned on and replaced the gibberish “hello world” stuff with Should Utefans come back? If that’s the extent of their coding abilities it’s going to be a long haul…

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

At this point let’s just give up. The Hub is the hub now.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc New owner at UF.N?