Viewing 5 reply threads

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne
      5 1

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

All kidding aside, I always thought byu-p might be a good fit for the bible belt Big XII conference, but I think 2 things make that difficult for them 1) they’re the wrong brand of Christian 2) their LBGTQ views wouldn’t go over very well in the current cancel culture. You’d have college campus meltdowns if the XII admitted them. Long story short: WAY too much baggage with those guys.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Blowing smoke up Zoob fans skirts because it’s KSL. Total fantasy. The new Pac commissioner is going to axe the network, and renegotiate an all-inclusive media deal with one of the bigs, and we’ll be right back in the money.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Looks like KSL’s Jeremy Mauss either doesn’t know how leagues pay out media revenues, or he’s trying to fudge the numbers.  Note:

“The Pac-12 earned $32.2 million from the 2019 fiscal year from its media rights deal…the Big 12 pays out $38.2 million to $42 million

That’s not entirely accurate.  For starters, that’s not what the Pac-12 (or Big 12) earned.  That’s what they’d earned per team.  The Big XII’s advantage had been based on a 10-team revenue split.  Remember about 5-yrs ago, when the Big XII shook down ESPN to continue paying them as a 12-team league — but split out 10 ways — due to a loophole in their contract?  Well I can assure you, that loophole won’t exist anymore in their next one.  Had that conference been splitting their revenues 12 ways, their per-team sum would look just like the Pac-12’s.  Therefore, if we moved now…

1.  Utah’s revenues would remain the same.

2.  The Big XII’s per-team payout would be less than it is now.

3.  ybU-p would see a windfall of ca$h.

And that’s only assuming Utah and ybU-p would have been admitted as full revenue sharing members.  And that only benefits ybU-p.  So why should Utah make such a move, if the only beneficiary would be our WACish and midmajory little brother?

Mauss then goes into detail about how much the SEC and BigTen are/will be making….which has absolutely nothing to do with Utah — whether or not it moves to the Big XII.

And finally, even IF Utah wanted to leave a league with better destinations, in order to join one whose only nice roadies exist in Dallas and Austin, why would we insist on being a “package deal” with the zoobs?  There’s I can think of several other teams I’d rather join another conference with than ybU….such as schools from the Pac-12, MWC, and AAC.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Byu had a marginal shot at admission to the Big XII but came into negotiations demanding to be treated like Texas. No conference is going to agree to let Byu rebroadcast games on BYUTv. It’s literally giving away the product on which the revenue is based.

Add to that Sunday play restrictions and the whole problem of BYU and its history and fans. BYU doesn’t have the resume, academic, athletic or otherwise to be a serious candidate. BYU hasn’t done anything important in football in nearly 35 years. They won a Cotton Bowl in 1997… Last year was important? The theme of Byu in 2021 will be the comedown back to reality against a competitive lineup. I will be impressed if they win 5 games.

Lavell Edwards was a great coach. Before Edwards Byu beat Utah like five times total in more than 80 years. In the 18 games since Edward’s, Byu reverted to the mean and won four and it hasn’t happened in ten years. No one thinks CSU is the equal of Colorado. And yet CSU has a better record against the Buffs in that stretch. The independence scam Tom Holmoe is running depends on winning between 7 and 10 games a year. Too much or too little performance shines a light on the fact that NY6 and CFP is structurally beyond Byu’s reach. These articles are being written mostly for people born in the 1970s and earlier. Many of their kids are Utes fans. Over the next 20 years these articles and that audience will die off.

Utah is in a better position today but it’s not invulnerable. The best move schools on the inside can make is to consolidate and slice that pie fewer ways. It’s not hard to imagine the four CA schools, Oregon and Washington forming a division in a new conference with the top of the Big 12 as part of a 48 or 64 team superleague. I mean, that was what Larry Scott actually wanted to do instead of Utah and Colorado. If being a peer of Byu ever happened again, it is likely the result of bad news for us. The only way for Utah to be part of the future is to keep winning.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

No, why not take USU and Weber State along as well. All three work about the same.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Nice try KSL