Up Next in FB:
Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Offseason food review: Dave’s Hot Chicken (Midvale)

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Misc Offseason food review: Dave’s Hot Chicken (Midvale)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ute Dub
      Participant

I’d love to hear everyone’s food reviews during the offseason.

I was pleasantly surprised at the food quality at Dave’s Hot Chicken in Midvale off of Ft Union and 900 East. It’s somewhere between fast food style and restaurant style with better quality than fast food places . The chicken tenders were more crispy but less breaded than Raising Canes. I got the medium spice level, and will move up to hot next time. The spice levels go up to extra hot and reaper. The sliders are the same size as a regular chicken sandwich and the sauce was on point, almost a chick fil a sauce flavor, but perhaps better, maybe less sugary. The place was almost packed when the wife and I walked in at 5:45. A very diverse crowd was inside and out, a very clean table was open with more tables available outside.

It was an A rating for the wife and I. We’ve triad many chicken places, this may be our new favorite.

Kellso
      Participant

Matteo Italian restaurant. We have been there a few times and everything we have tasted has been outstanding. The Gnocchi was and is my favorite dish. You need a reservation.

Franklin Avenue is my favorite place to go for pub food. Again, everything I have tried there is delicious. You must get a reservation. We were only able to get in once out of five attempts without a reservation. They did offer a bar seat but, we wanted a table.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Thank you! Added to our list.

BoiseUTE
        Participant

We have a Dave’s Hot chicken here in Boise and your review is pretty spot on as well from what I have seen going there a number of times.

PRizzle
        Participant

I’m a mac and cheese snob since I make a mean smoked bacon mac and cheese. At Dave’s Hot chicken has some pretty good mac and cheese that I keep getting every time I go there.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

If you are ever in the Nova area, and in the mood for chicken you should try Hot Lola’s. You also can’t go wrong with Bonchon or some similar Korean place. Bonchon also has killer fries, onion rings, and dipping sauce. Also, Bonchon is an international chain, so you may be able to find it other places as well.

UTE98
        Participant

In NOVA my favorite is El Pollo Rico. Peruvian chicken, crack chicken!

On 932 Kenmore (?) a block from Virginia Square Metro station. All cash. My wife would drive 50 miles about once a month to get it. Also near Potomac Mills in Dumfries/Mannasas or Dumassas.

chinngiskhaan
          Participant

I went there about a month ago. Good stuff. Cheap, fast, tastes good. My Peruvian buddy recommended it.

RedUte14
      Participant

Settebellos in Salt Lake is amazing pizza.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Thank you! I’ve been watching David Portnoy pizza review videos and wanting to find a solid pizza place in SLC.

UTE98
      Participant

Dad’s Chicken on Broadway next to Culver’s on South Broadway, Littleton, CO is good.

pedro
      Participant

There is a place in a Kansas City suburb that is amazing for fried chicken, etc.. but it’s small and I want it to stay that way for when we visit there for FB games, sorry.

BUT, Jack Stack BBQ in KC is pretty good for a regional chain. Their Jalapeno corn bread serves as a great compliment to their burnt ends. Beats any BBQ I’ve had here by a good margin.

Rick
        Participant

You talking Gus’s in KC? Damn good fried chicken! I also prefer Dave’s Hot Chicken to the new Houston’s Hot Chicken. Dave’s is not as hot but way more flavorful and juicy. Houston’s is also quite pricey. I would have much preferred they kept Crack Shack.

pedro
          Participant

No, but I will have to try Gus’ 😀

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

If you’re ever on the central coast, you have to check out Jocko’s in Nipomo, CA. They have good steaks, and the Santa Maria style BBQ is amazing. My favorite are the pork ribs, though. We don’t ruin our meat with sauce around here. It’s all dry rub.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

Cheesesteaks. Philly. Anywhere.

Also, “Yummi Pizza” in the subway at Suburban Station (16th & JFK Blvd).

Buena Onda has the best grilled shrimp tacos I’d ever had.

D T
      Participant

Red Fuego in UT County….Outstanding Peruvian chicken.

UTE98
        Participant

Red Fuego is good but pales in comparison to El Pollo Rico, however of the three Peruvian chicken places I’ve tried in Colorado and Utah it is the best.

FountainofUte
      Participant

Dave’s Hot Chicken is solid. We started going there since the Midvale location opened and it’s been a family favorite ever since. I’m settling in on “hot” being my go-to level. I haven’t tried to go up a level of heat yet, but Hot has been plenty.

I’d think if I went up more it would start to overpower the taste. It’s right on the edge of that as it is. I also enjoy Medium heat. A great mix of heat and flavor. (And I say this as a guy who likes hot, spicy food.)

I tried their chocolate shake the other night with my meal. Super mid. Wouldn’t recommend.That’ll be the last time I get that. I’ve also settled on the #3 meal that has the slider and the tender.

Ute Dub
        Participant

That’s what I got was the #3. It was perfect for me. 2 tenders and a chicken sandwich. Perfect. I’m not into fries but I’ll eat a couple for the sauce taste.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

My current favorite Chicken place is in Murray. It is 500 w and 4500 s. Charlie’s Chicken Fingers. They also have really good sauces. I love the toast. Fries are not that good because crinkle taste like cafeteria for me.

My favorite place to eat at least once or twice a month with the family? Wicked Pizza in Riverton. It is off Bangerter and like 13400 s. Construction has made it a pain. If you come from the south via Mountain View Corridor it isn’t that bad.

Best Mexican in Utah county probably is Jurassic Taco. I haven’t been for a while since they had some labor problems. Chungas in Salt Lake County is my absolute favorite. El Pastor is so good.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Solid suggestions. Thank you!

DUte
      Participant

Vitos….it’s a Cheesesteak place in Bountiful that I am a bit partial to since I got to know the owner (Vito) a few years ago. Only open Tues-Fri right now from 11 until he runs out of Bread, usually around 1:30. Cash only business, yes its a brick and mortar, where you make your own change. There was an article on his business/model done a few months ago by KSL/Desnews/Fox. My go to sandwich is the Cream Cheese Philly add mushrooms/garlic with a side of Jalapeno sauce. Damn good sandwich suggest getting there early or you will run into a line and he may say “NO Sandwich (Soup) for you”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2PtQFNiUKk

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.