ONLYU

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I know everything is suspended. But I am still curious. Do you think Utah will add a safety or linebacker through the portal. If not, do you see Nephi Sewll as being the other backer against BYU ? 

This is purely speculation, but just curious if you think he cans bulk up, learn the position and has the right mentality for it. If you don’t know no worries. Just wanted to ask a football question to distract myself from all the craziness. 

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

A few things…Lund is suspended but isn’t removed from the team so he’s likely still in play with Sewell and Mata’afa. Sione Fotu probably pushes for reps soon as well. There seems to be more concern from the fan base than there is from the coaching staff about the LB position.

Vonte looks very good so far and could make a very positive jump and with Ritchie coming in to go along with some of the other guys from last year we’re not in a terrible spot.

That said, they’ll definitely work the portal for a saftey and then an LB probably in that order.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Thanks for the updates, OnlyU – very much appreciated, as always. 

A couple more questions if you are able to share, if not, we understand. 

How has Mata’ata been able to handle the weight gain? I thought I heard he needed 10 more lbs. 

Could Vonte be our next Burgess – an under the radar guy with a huge improvement in the offseason? 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Mata’afa has been trying to put weight on since he’s been here so it’s not a lack of effort. It’s just difficult for some guys to make that happen while young. He finds the ball and is really effective and I’m sure he see’s the opportunity in front of him and will do his best to take advantage.

I almost compared Vonte to Burgess is my earlier post but backed off because it’s probably unfair to expect something like that…not probably it flat out is. BUT I’m really interested to see if he can keep improving to the point that he wins that job and becomes highly productive back there.

A lot of talent coming in this Summer and a lot already here. Gonna be some intense position battles in a few months!

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

What about Aaron Lowe? I’ve heard some good things about him at the safety position.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Yep…In the mix for sure. There will be so many position battles in camp it will be a blast to watch. Competition begets performance and we have athletes all over the place. Someone will step up. Can’t wait.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.