Playing in Provo

Viewing 11 reply threads

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

You know what the worst part about playing in Provo is? Hint: It’s not the drive. It’s their assymetrical Y logo at midfield. It’s an eyesore and distracting to the game. It’s seriously all I can focus on sometimes. 

Who caught that ball? Couldn’t tell, my eyes were peripherally distracted by their lopsided logo. 

Hopefully we’re in favorable field position and they stay on their own 20 so it’s less of an issue. 

What would you all consider the worst part of playing in Provo? 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

That I want to go to the game, but I also want to tailgate and feel like I would get arrested for that?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’ve been to one game there. It wasn’t even Utah.  It was back in the day when Marshall Falk was a senior at SDSU.  He had 299 yards rushing that day and SDSU beat the zoo something like 55-54. My buddies came up from SDSU and we had front row in the end zone somehow. We were on ESPN that day with a sign that said “Mom I’m stuck in Provo. SEND BEER.”

Once around that many zoobs was more than enough for a lifetime. I would much rather watch the game in the comfort of my own home, or as the case will be likely this year, from the Salt Lake International Airport.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

I was there for the 54-10 game and the 3-0 game.  I hate going to Provo though.  Ladies knitting at the game, old people yelling at their own fans to sit down when there is a big play.  So many people wearing headsets to listen to the radio broadcast.

Add to the fact that it isn’t worth paying $100+ for a ticket to that stadium.  Other than the nice Mtn backdrop there isn’t anything nice about that stadium.  It is old and run down w/terrible bathrooms, video boards, and sound system(unless they’ve upgraded them since 2011).

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Terrible bathrooms, video boards and sound system… LOL.  That was us until last year.

St George Ute
          Ute Fan
          @stgeorgeute

Listening to the radio broadcast…ugh!!! You couldn’t pay me to listen to Wrubbel. Maybe that’s what’s wrong with their fans. Too much exposure to that guy would make anyone bats**t crazy.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Like Tony, I have only been there once and it wasn’t even for a Utah football game.  I was invited to attend a BYU vs Air Force game before I was even a fan of college football.  The jet flyover was neat, but after that, I was bored out of my mind.  The benches were uncomfortable and the game felt like it took forever.  Granted, nothing about this really has anything to do with liking/disliking Provo; boring games and uncomfortable benches are pretty easily found elsewhere…

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

I was down there for an Air Force game in the late 90s or early 2000s where AFA won. After the game the Cadets and football team sang their Alma Mater (which is partially sung in honor of those killed in action).

The friggin byu fans in the stands booed them. That is a classy bunch down there.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Did you see this sign at that BYU-Air Force game?

Slow White Guys

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

That’s pretty funny, and accurate.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

No, but I do remember back in the 80s when they claimed to have “the best all-white basketball team in the nation”…

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Sat in the student section in full U regalia in 2013. Good times. The nerd students around me were nice enough. But a quasi-jock almost had an aneurysm by the end of it. But I did almost get in two fights for standing in line with Utah gear and trying to read a damn book (this one by BYU students) and holding my wife’s hand while trailing her and some guy (60-year-old man that was borderline obese) running into it. Good times.

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

Just being in Provo is bad enough for me. I hate going there. I hate trying to find a parking space and parking in some unpaved lot a couple blocks away. I hate sitting in frozen lines of traffic for 2 hours while trying to leave because their traffic system can’t handle more than 4 cars. I hate that I can’t get a Mtn Dew or DP in that poor excuse for an erector-set. But I love that we’ve beaten them 8 out of 11 in LES over the last 25 years.

I recommend that if you do ever go there then sit in the Utah section. It will help offset the ugliness of the rest of the trip.

I’ve been to two games there, the first in 2005 when Utah, in Brett Ratliff’s first start after Brian Johnson went down in the New Mexico game. OT thriller, beat them with a TD on our side of the field. I sat in the Utah section and it was great! The entire section stood the whole game, we were wild and loud. And I remember zoobs getting upset because our band was playing the Utah fight song, which they had permission to do, in front of our section while their team was trying to have a blanket ceremony for their seniors. Who plans a blanket ceremony on the field AFTER a game?

The second was the “Max Hall Hates Me” game. Went with a friend who is a BYU fan, great guy, but he graduated from there, so I can’t blame him, he’s loyal to his school. We sat up in the second level in a sparsely populated section. Surprised to have so many empty seats for a Utah game. But that didn’t stop the jackasses from making comments to me throughout the game. Most of them weren’t a bother. The only one that got on my nerves was the 300lb-balding-pimple-faced-gremlin sitting right behind me who kept yelling “Staaaate schoooool” non-stop the ENTIRE GAME. Dude! I get it! You’re jealous! Shut the frak up!

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

You mean the Yahoo! logo?

If I see someone wearing that logo (very rare where I live) I like to ask if they work for Yahoo!

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Or attended Yale. That really draws their ire.

St George Ute
          Ute Fan
          @stgeorgeute

When in SoCal, it’s Yucaipa High School:
          Yucaipa HS
          😀 😀 😀

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Haha, that’s great. 

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Never been to a game down in Happy Valley and I don’t ever plan on it. I’ll enjoy it on my couch with a bottle of Basil Hayden.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Yea, I see no reason to contribute to their program by attending a game there.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Yeah, I heard that the Utah tickets were quite a bit more expensive than the other games, so I googled byu football tickets.  I did not find the answer, and I feel dirty now that byu ticket ads appear in my browser.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I’ve been to a couple games down there and they are always fun for me although I’d recommend not wearing a “I floated your sister” tshirts. They are pretty sensitive about that whole situation on Campus.(at least they were a few years ago) We had police watching us the whole time which actually was nice when a couple of fans tried to help us sit down after a big play by Utah.

Anyway, worst thing about a game down there are the fans between 40 and 50 years old. They’re just some angry people that feel like they need to justify their life decisions by whatever happens on the field.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

It probably is not a good idea to make any sexy-time jokes down there right now. It might affect their ability to cover up scandals…

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Not the only school out there with a ‘lopsided’ logo (Washington comes to mind).

But for me by far the worst part of Provo is the fans.  So damned self-entitled and they feel it is their birthright to win every game and when they lose it is always because of biased officials, opponents cheated, Cougars didn’t play well, bad luck, etc, and NEVER because the opponent simply played a better game.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

You’re right about Washington. Theirs bugs me too, but not nearly as bad as TDS-P. 

Edutecator
      Ute Fan
      @edutecator

For me it is the traffic.  Getting in and out of that hole is the worst.  When we have gone we go early park aways away and hope that helps.  With getting older and with HDTV just figuring it just isn’t worth it.  

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

We took the train down for the last game. UTA bused us to and from the Frontrunner station. No stress about traffic. It definitely made the experience more enjoyable. The stadium is not the easiest to get around in and starting to show its age. Reminds me of Rice- Eccles from the 1990’s.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Playing in Provo