Potential RB Commit

Viewing 5 reply threads

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Do we become even richer at RB? Sammie Hunter’s teammate.
      CV Crystal Ball

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

That’s the goal: stack talent on top of talent on top of talent and let the best play

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

Seems like the last couple years we had injuries and ended up being quite thin at RB anyway.  

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Chicken v Egg: was the recruiting lacking or the performances of the recruits lacking?

If we are being honest, Utah doesn’t have a great track record with RB recruits. John White, transfer. DeVontae Booker, transfer. Armand Shyne, transfer. Joe Williams, transfer. Tavion Thomas, transfer. JaQuinden, transfer. Over the same period here are the RB recruits:

2011: Jarrell Oliver. No Utah stats
          2011: Harvey Langi. 13 carries as true freshman. Moved to LB and transferred to the parochial school.
          2012: Kelvin York. 178 carries, 736 yards (4.1), 9 TD’s in 2012-2013.
          2013: Troy McCormick. 79 carries, 432 yards (5.5), 3 TD’s, 36 catches, 292 yards (8.1), 2 TD’s in 2014-2017.
          2013: Dre’Vian Young. Committed, not sure he ever enrolled.
          2013: Jordan Howard. 13 carries, 67 yards (5.2) in 2017-2018.
          2015: Marcel Brown. No Utah stats.
          2016: Zack Moss. ‘nuf said.
          2016: Devontae Henry-Cole. 43 carries, 194 yards (4.5), 2 TD’s in 2017-2018. Transferred to the parochial school and aggieland
          2017: TJ Green. 59 carries, 258 yards (4.4), 1 TD in 2018-2019. Transferred to Liberty.
          2018: Devin Brumfield. 96 carries, 390 yards (4.1) 3 TD’s. Transferred to Tulane.
          2018: Branden Rankins. No Utah stats.
          2019: Jordan Wilmore. 67 carries, 248 yards (3.6), 1 TD in 2019-2020. Transferred to Fresno, then aggieland.
          2019: Micah Bernard. 2021 Rose Bowl should put him in Ute HOF. Otherwise, 208 carries, 1132 (5.4) 6 TD’s, 64 catches, 590 yards (5.2), 3 TD’s to date.
          2020: Ty Jordan. What could have been.,,
          2021: Ricky Parks. No Utah stats. Currently enjoying pina colada’s in the portal.
          2022: Jaylon Glover. Good showing for a true freshman. Needs to step it up or get passed by the newbies.

I have high hopes for Randle, Stanley and Mitchell. However, I would give the staff 3 wins out of 17 recruits (Deuce, Deuce-deuce, and half credit each for Bernard and Glover). The odds are likelier that Utah will find it’s next great running back out of the portal than anyone they recruit.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

Bernard and Glover are only half wins? What constitutes a full win?

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

RB1

Ute Dub
                Ute Fan
                @chestercopperpot

Do you expect Utah to have 50% of its RB recruits as RB1? I think 25% would be a reasonable expectation. Especially when you have multiple year starters such as Zach Moss. Bernard had 12 starts at Running Back last year, and he’s valued at more than just carries.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

I am guessing you are responding to someone bemoaning recruits vs transfers. In this era of College football it is irrelevant. 

Ute Dub
                    Ute Fan
                    @chestercopperpot

I agree, but also, the likelihood of being RB1 at Utah will face stiff competition and the coaches shouldn’t be fan lectured for their recruiting prowess in this regard.  

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

Yeah.  I think the same criticism of the QB position is very justifiable. Very unique things have happened at the RB spot recently though. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

If I remember correctly, he is committing within the week. I guess we’ll find out soon.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We could lose three RBs after the 2023 season.  So, getting some new backs in this class is a necessity.  

I hope we get Valentine.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

He seems a bit light for a RB.  Is that the position we’re recruiting him for, with the intention to put some weight on him?  Or are we looking at him more as a DB?

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I’m not sure his weight is an issue, but he doesn’t seem to be as fast/quick as you would hope a 4 star 180 lb guy would be. I’m not suggesting he would be a bad pickup. I trust our coaches, but my untrained eye just doesn’t see how he is a 4 star player based on the one highlight video I watched.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I don’t worry about this because the coaches do. I remember an interview with Peterson from TCU where they questioned his strategy to recruit a high number of HS QBs and RBs. It came up when he had a DE that became an AA but was a HS QB or RB. He explained in Texas most often the best 2 athletes on the team are the QB and RB regardless of their natural position. He would then allow them to move to their natural position with great success. Things have changed somewhat with HS coaches moving that forward more but we still see plenty of position changes moving into college. Next, we don’t know anything about an individual’s access to nutrition and what may be expected when they get access to a quality training table. Our coaches do a deep dive into the potential of our recruits. To fans, a great athlete like Chase Hansen may just look like an extra QB we didn’t need.

1 2

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

Yeah, like I said, I trust the coaches. I was simply sharing my opinion (which is admittedly ill-informed)

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

New Crystal Ball in for him to Illinois.

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Update: all three crystal balls, including Steve Bartle, have him going to Illinois. Looks likely that Utah will miss out on this one. Bummer.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Potential RB Commit