Preseason expectations

Viewing 3 reply threads

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

One thing I’m not excited about is all the preseason hype which raises expectations. Last season was so much fun, for me anyway, because expectations were so low after losing two preseason games to lower level teams. Our first win at USC, our second half comeback vs ASU, and our total beat down of Stanford were all unexpected at the time, and made them so much more fun.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

Last season certainly was epic, but I think I could find some way to enjoy it if we happen to be in the playoffs.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

But the expectations! That would be miserable!!

Dallas
          Ute Fan
          @dallas

How miserable I would be as a Bama fan where anything short of a natty is a disappointment.

The coog game has felt this way for a long time.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

I’ve been a Utah fan since the 50s. I have enjoyed watching this team in famine and feast. There has been plenty of both. High expectations when met make me ecstatic when they have fallen short, I have felt dissapointment. Throughout those years I have never lost my love for the Utes, nor the excitement of the next game. That is why high expectations don’t scare me.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

I understand what you’re saying, but disagree.  I have a friend who is an Alabama fan.  And for him, there’s only one or two interesting games on the schedule.  If they don’t win the national title, it’s a disappointment. If they do win, it’s as much a relief as it is a joy.

That said, Utah is not Alabama.  If we meet expectations this year, it won’t be a feeling of relief that we didn’t screw it up, it wold be pure joy that we had a season better than almost any other we’ve ever had.  Frankly we’re not good enough and with enough history that expectations can sap too much joy for us yet.

I don’t love expectations from a player perspective, and hope they don’t read/believe them, but as a fan, it doesn’t make the experience worse for me.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Sometimes it’s easier as a fan when expectations are low.  However, in this case – the publicity we are getting helps recruiting.  I hope there is a day before I die where the Utes are considered one of the big boys and the expectations are high every year.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Back when I started following Utah, driving home from a victory in Logan or watching the Utes beat UTEP was a joyous occasion and a winning (6-5) season was considered a good year.  Suffered through a lot of dissappointments too which makes me appreciate these recent seasons.

UtesRule
          Ute Fan
          @utesrule

The last two posts about all of the publicity the Utes are receiving, even if that means super high expectations which could potentially lead to disappointment if not attained, and where we have come from since I two became a fan back in the mid-70s makes me truly appreciate this time we currently live in.

My opinion, live it up, soak it in, enjoy the ride! Things can change rather quickly.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

We had more than double the amount of juniors at the scrimmage last week than we normally do. The publicity of being highly ranked in the preseason is fantastic for the program and opening more doors than ever.

Plenty to worry about as far as expectations go but that’s a hell of a lot better than the alternative. This is a really solid and capable team…there could be all kinds of things that go our way and a bunch of stuff out of our control. We’re deep, we’re talented, we have a favorable schedule…I say enjoy the ride.

Trailgoat
            Ute Fan
            @utahgoat

Agree. My first Utah football game was a loss at home to University of Idaho in 1993. Going to the Rose Bowl was a national program changing event for Utah. Utes need to keep winning to build up the program similar to what Oregon did in the Chip Kelly era and 2 years of Helfrich at Oregon. Before Chip Kelly, Oregon was very average. Kudos to Oregon with many thanks to Uncle Phil’s wallet, has done an excellent job of Marketing their brand.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Preseason expectations