Ranking thoughts prior to CFP ranking release

Viewing 2 reply threads

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

There is often a complaint about the PAC 12 strength of schedule and it impacting our rankings. I thought I would compare the AP top 10 teams” strengths of schedules as rated by Sagarin and Massey and rank them 1 to 10.

Sagarin Massey

LSU 4 3

Alabama 9 8

Ohio St 2 4

Clemson 10 10

Penn St 5 5

Georgia 8 9

Oregon 3 2

Utah 6 6

Oklahoma 7 7

Florida 1 1

Of one loss teams, both systems rank strongest schedules as follows: Oregon, Utah, Georgia and Oklahoma.

For interest:

My kids were taking some college prep stuff recently and we did some study with analogies.

I used the points awarded in each ranking to see the difference between strength of schedules to create these analogies:

Massey

Alabama is to Utah as SMU is to Alabama

Alabama is to Oregon as Temple is to Alabama

Sagarin

Alabama is to Utah as Middle Tennessee is to Alabama

Alabama is to Oregon as San Jose State is to Oregon

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

Sorry about the formatting.  I copied and pasted it and it looked lousy.  I went back into the editor and changed it to look lined up but it didn’t come out that way.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Utah plays 9 in conference games and TDS has played better than expected. The two other OOC were pathetic. 

Warrior Ute
        Ute Fan
        @warriorute

So what does that say about Alabama’s OOC?  SEC is top heavy and then has a bunch of crappy teams. Because the can skip so many of the other good teams because the way they schedule, they can actually have a fairly easy schedule to walk through.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

SEC generally schedules two extra byes. Obvious exceptions would be Auburn. 

The PAC12 is own worst enemy. Again what should have been done is matchup USC and Utah late in the season. SC is always a contender for the south. Utah happens to be the favorite this year. Pair them up late to CREATE DRAMA!! Nope don’t do that. The other problem is SC always has to play notre Dame etc..

astUTE
            Ute Fan
            @astute

I generally agree with your sentiment: Why the hell would we schedule what are expected to be our leagues most challenging matchups, in each division, early in the season!?!?!?!  Save them for late!  Let the favorites feast on the lower end competition, until late in the season when the favorites go into the “final” north, or south compeitation against a highly ranked undefeated foe.  Everyone else does it, why do we NOT try to proprtionally stack the deck?

THis year, however, I’ll argue that the Utes, and particualry the defensive coaches, were comfortable with the status quo until the lose to USC.  We have been on fire ever since, and we’ll never know, but my guess is that without the USC lose as a wake up, we would have lost either the WSU, or the ASU game.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ranking thoughts prior to CFP ranking release