Recruiting Concerns

Viewing 7 reply threads
      5 6

LongDuckDong
      Ute Fan
      @utahdawg

Is anyone concerned about the Utes recruiting thus far for 2020?

According to Rivals, Utah is not ranked in the top 100 nationally, they are last in the Pac-12 and only have 5 recruits, 3 of which are 3 stars and the other two have no stars. Is this concerning or does Utah typically close strong?

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

3 or 4 years ago I would be concerned . However Utes have changed their recruiting strategy and it seems to be paying off .. with so many transfers occurring I don’t much pay attention to rankings anymore .

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am concerned someone hasn’t mentioned this earlier. 

2 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Oh and I mean this as TIC because it seems like Utah has a strategy that is working because fans always start bitching around now. 

4 3

Kirk Kettner
      Ute Fan
      @cwatkins02

I’m more concerned that you’re still getting recruiting rankings from Rivals… 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

First, welcome to a Husky in Ute Country.

As some context to the Utah recruiting strategy, after Utah built its PAC12 roster and started consistently winning other coaches in the conference started paying attention.  A certain snake oil salesman at ASU and a few others started tracking the low 3 stars Utah was getting to commit early.  Then they would make a play late in the process to poach the players Utah had targeted.  They trusted Utah’s player evaluation process because of the disproportionate amount of 3 stars Utah was sending to the next level.  In the 2017 recruiting class Utah started slow playing the process and it has been successful (some on this board would disagree).

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Nobody should be questioning Utah’s recruiting…

if youre comparing Utah against itself, its improved a lot every year for the past 4-5 years.  No reason yet to doubt it won’t keep doing so this coming year.  Especially if Utah has a big year.

whitlessham
          Ute Fan
          @whitelssham

“if youre comparing Utah against itself, its improved a lot every year for the past 4-5 years”

What if your comparing Utah recruiting against the teams it needs to beat to get to the Rose Bowl?

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

You’re type of mentality is what I like to call the magic wand mentality…

So you forget that there are 120 other college football teams trying just as hard as Utah to get the jump on this thing. 

According to you, all coaches have this magic wand to create instant success.  They just forget it’s in the drawer at the office…sooo many just forget it’s there….

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

i hate ur profile picture

LongDuckDong
      Ute Fan
      @utahdawg

I haven’t followed Utah’s recruiting closely since now. The small number (only 5 recruits) and the ratings are what would concern me. Utah isn’t Oregon State or Arizona. They’re a consistent winner with a history of sending pros on the defensive side (at the very least). Why they can’t get more kids to commit and higher rated kids at this point in the recruiting season is baffling.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

This is a deliberate choice on their part. Recruits will start coming in right in the middle of the season. This has been the trend for at least three years now.

DrJazzy
        Ute Fan
        @docute

I think it’s just really hard to sell kids on SLC. Compared to LA, or Seattle, Denver, or even Phoenix. Lots more people, lots more coeds, lots more clubs/bars. 

Winning, consistent winning, can definitely change that though. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

As Pac play starts for Utah you can watch who comes in for visits. Often there will be high profile guys that were not known before and some will like what they see. We would be more comfortable with early commits and sometimes that will be the case.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Recruiting Concerns