Rose

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 8

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

Man rose must be awful. If he couldnt get on the field with weeks of practice because barnes is apparently better. Wow. Heard weber offered barnes a preferred walkon to come try and play.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Has to be hard to watch from the sidelines for Rose.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Yeah, that’s been my question.

Is Barnes a practice warrior who kills it in practices and blows ass balls come game time, he becomes hesitant, unsure and just bitches up mentally.

Did Rose decide he didn’t want to play, and if so why.

Did Rose get told he won’t play and slack off so hard that he wasn’t ready to play.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Seems KW made up his mind before the game Rose was not playing. Hard saying though considering the way info is communicated to the media and fans. I quit listening to KW’s pre and post game press conferences. Like most coaches, he spews a lot of BS coach speak and the playing dumb banter routine with the local media who are scared of asking him hard questions is a waste of time.

Get the impression KW is putting all his eggs in the Rising, and Wilson QB2 basket. Rose going into his third year “not ready” is not a good sign. After last night, would not be surprised if Barnes is back with Utah next season. The QB room has been oddly mishandled all season. Good material for off season discussion.

2 1

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

They had Rose warming up near the end zone after Barnes second INT. They should have put him in

2 1

salty-ute
          Ute Fan
          @salty-ute

was at the game and he was throwing before every possession. I think he was only going in if barnes went down to save his medical redshirt

2 1

RedUte14
            Ute Fan
            @redute14

him playing would not have affected his medical redshirt

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

There’s a lot of misinformation regarding this issue. As currently written, NCAA statutes explicitly state that you have to suffer a “season ending injury” in order to qualify for a medical redshirt. In addition, the bowl exception for regular redshirts was a one time thing put in effect during last year’s bowl season. That exception was not renewed this year or, at least, hasn’t been renewed as of yet.

Distantute
                Ute Fan
                @distantute

Whit said repeatedly it wouldnt impact redshirt status. My guess is whit wasn’t researching the ncaa regulations before saying that – that would come from the legal and compliance teams. Given im sure the legal/compliance teams gave whit their opinion, it is safe to say rose could have played with no redshirt impact.

2 1

The Miami Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @themiamiute

Whitt also said that Rising and Kuithe would play this season. I can only tell you what the NCAA bylaws explicitly state regarding the redshirt issue.

Distantute
                    Ute Fan
                    @distantute

One is not like the other – opinion about health vs regulation. There can be a lot of opinions issued by regulatory bodies not set forth in the regulations themselves which can be relied on – these transmittals carry force of law. Not saying that is whats going on here, just saying id trust the legal/compliance teams.

The Miami Ute
                      Ute Fan
                      @themiamiute

Here’s what we know…you can’t receive a medical redshirt unless you suffer a season ending injury (that’s what the NCAA says). You can’t play a bowl game if you’ve suffered a season ending injury ergo if Rose wants a medical redshirt, then he can’t play in a bowl game. Don’t know how else to put it. We can talk all we want about Whitt, Utah’s compliance department, etc…it doesn’t matter because Rose never played. The question is why he didn’t play…I believe it’s because Whitt knew that if he played it would cancel the medical redshirt argument. Some others here might say that it’s because he felt that Barnes gave the Utes the best chance to win. I respect that but I don’t believe it.

2008 National Champ
                  Ute Fan
                  @cptmrgn05

I tend to believe that Rose will not get a medical year. He’s been running the scout team for a couple of months and “been available in an emergency” for close to the same. That has been not only public knowledge but Whitt has specifically said it in multiple interviews. So he falls into the DNP-coaches decision category instead of season ending injury, in my opinion.

Medicals are up to the NCAA to approve and applications are only accepted once a kids’ eligibility has expired. So Rose would have to apply after the 2026 season for another year and then make his case with the decision likely coming during fall camp of 2027 as that is when those come out. And the NCAA doesn’t hand out a lot of them. Umana is the last Utah player I can remember successfully getting one.

The kicker is that Rose, not Utah or whichever school he ends up at, is going to have to provide medical documentation that he was incapable of playing from the time of his injury through the end of the 2023 season. Whitt’s comments may placate the urinalists, but it is just opinion until the NCAA agrees.

krindor
                  Ute Fan
                  @krindor

Truth of the matter is that Whittingham can’t know that. Medical redshirts are weird in that they don’t happen at the time, they really only happen once the player is out of eligibility and then petitions to have an additional year. So he might feel good about still getting a medical RS, but it would be decided later. And playing would certainly make it less likely. So even the possibility of burning that should probably be guarded against

Gugstanley
          Ute Fan
          @gugstanley

The QB’s do this at every game

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.