Runnin Ute Player Inventory

Viewing 5 reply threads

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Trying to figure what our scholarship availability is for next year.
      As I understand, we only had 12 of 13 handed out this year (could be wrong)
      6 players returning (assuming none transfers), and 6 finished.

Returning

1 Erickson
      2 Wahlin
      3 Exacte
      4 Keita
      5 Tarlac
      6 Lovering

Not Returning

7 Carlson
      8 Carlson
      9 Bajema
      10 Smith
      11 Worster
      12 Madsen

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

If that happens, the Utes are toast in the Big 12. Those guys leaving are essentially 90+ percent of every major offensive category this season. I certainly hope Smith can find lightning in the bottle in the portal.

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

Worster could come back if he chooses to.

palos_verdes_ute
          Ute Fan
          @palos-verdes-ute

Are you talking about medical RS? I can’t recall the threshold of games played for medical RS qualifications.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

GM could also return.

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Csmith seems to always do better with transfers over HS prospects. This is evident even from his Logan days. I’m trying to be positive here, but he would essentially have 7 scholarships to build a new and better team (and avoid players like Erikson).

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

There are only 2 players that are for sure done and that is Brandon Carlson and Cole Bajema. EVERYONE else can return if they would like to. Craig Smith has said this a few times in his recent interviews. Do I expect them all to come back? No, but there’s only 2 players with zero eligibility remaining.

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Smith can come back I thought

cj13
        Ute Fan
        @cjohnsen13

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about everyone can come back besides Bajema and Brandon

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

I feel like Erickson will be a bit of a canary in the coal mine for me next year. If he’s back next season, I’ll get the feeling that Smith either doesn’t want to make the tough call to send a kid packing that doesn’t have the talent or we’re unable to find better talent so Smith keeps him around.

Either way, if Erickson is around next season, it’s a bad sign for me for where this program is headed under Smith. 

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Just going to the Big 12 should give any Ute fan pause. It would be akin to the football Utes joining the SEC. How many games do you think that the football Utes would win in their first few seasons in the SEC? The Runnin’ Utes are going from a conference that’s only going to have three tournament teams to one that has a possible 10 tournament teams. Not only are they likely to lose every away game, they’re also going to lose quite a few home games as well.

My take is that Smith won’t leave anytime soon for a couple of reasons. One, he still has three years on his contract and Utah is not going to want to pay his buyout with multiple years remaining on his contract. Two, letting him go would make Harlan look bad, seeing as he’s the one that hired Smith without even conducting a cursory coaching search. In fact, the only way I see Smith getting fired after next season is if they have a season like Oregon State this year.

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

Big 12 basketball I would posit is deeper than SEC football. You could join the SEC and draw a favorable schedule. Or an absolutely miserable one. UGA’s schedule last year was a joke. I guess with the expanded league, you have a few more good teams, so there would just shift to 4 almost guaranteed losses from 2 with 2-3 50/50 (at this point in time; any conference shift up like that takes time for talent and depth to be recruited and developed).

However, in basketball, it might actually be harder. Half of the Big 12 are excellent BB teams.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

You’re probably right. Currently, the Big 12 has five teams ranked in the Top 20 and nine teams at 19 victories plus. Two of those teams with 19 victories plus are Texas and Oklahoma but you can easily replace them with Arizona and Colorado. To me, this program is in a cul-de-sac with no easy way out.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

Don’t get me wrong, the Big 12 is great in basketball. However, rather than assume it is miles ahead of the Pac I want to wait and see. My hesitation is watching the Y go from mid conference in the WCC with a losing record in conference to 1 game over 500 mid conference in the Big 12. They did that with the same coach and almost all the same players. Either they were masters of development this year or there is some other explanation. I have Y friends that were sure they were running into a wall and yet they are ranked and doing fine. Oddly, we beat that team. Can we get back to the level we were in the preseason? Part of the problem was while adding an awesome player and losing 2 starters, one for the season, we have declined from the preseason. We gota find a way to get better each week no mater what. Also gota win on the road.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Great post, was totally thinking the same thing. And also if I remember correctly, the B12 teams weren’t exactly world beaters last year in the Tourney. There’s no question the B12 is a highly competitive league from top to bottom. But I’m not convinced their teams are head and shoulders above everyone else.

1 1

D T
                Ute Fan
                @azute1

IMO the XII is overrated [I believe this will reveal itself in the Tourney], but overall better than the P12 is this season.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Runnin Ute Player Inventory