Ryan Lacy interview recap

Viewing 2 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

He wouldn’t say Scalley’s name. Just referred to him as “that coach”.

Scalley used “the word” during Lacy’s freshman year in practice. He didn’t want to go into detail but said a few other players heard it.

The players who heard it decided to let it go because it was just during practice. Lacy didn’t feel like he could say anything about it because he was just a freshman.

This was the only instance Lacy knew of Scalley using the word. He hadn’t even heard about the text until recently.

He approached Scalley during his senior year with one other player. Scalley apologized to both players but made it more of an excuse than an apology.

He doesn’t want to see Scalley lose his job, as he has a family and made a mistake. He says this is something that can be forgiven and learned from.

He still has a good relationship with the University, coach Shah specifically. He attends games when he can.

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

Link or source?

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

On 1280 this morning. I’m sure they have a way you can hear it.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Download or stream the podcast on 1280

5 5

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Does anybody actually believe lacy at this point? Dudes a lying duche. “Whole team,”  “one other player,”  Which is it?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I also got the impression before that Scalley said it several times. Now it’s only one. Maybe he never gave a number of times, it just seemed like it was something he said a lot.

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Listen to the interview on 1280.  He’s not a lying douche.  He was just trying to lend some support for the family on Twitter after all of this blew up, and he didn’t expect his comments to go viral in the way that they did.  He did avoid saying Scalley’s name (though he later ended up saying it at least once), but I got the feeling that he was doing that for legal reasons.  I may be wrong, but I also got the feeling that if he wouldn’t have posted his comment in the way that he did if he’d known how this was all going to play out.  In hindsight, it seems pretty obvious that a comment like that is going to get views….but I feel like I can sympathise as I’m not super Twitter savvy either.

He was very adamant about Scalley having just made a mistake, and he doesn’t think he should lose his job.  Like others have said, he doesn’t think Scalley is racist….but he was still offended by his use of that word.  Either way, he seems to still be a big supporter of Utah, and he attends a bunch of games. 

I don’t think this is sour grapes like Boobie Hobbs. 

I got the feeling that He’s a big supporter of the program.  He’s 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I just listened and I agree. He doesn’t seem like he’s out to get Scalley. He just wants to support the family. He loves the University and goes to every game in NorCal. He said it happened one time, it bothered him but he doesn’t seem to think Scalley is a racist, but he doesn’t like the word being used by anyone due to the history behind the word. Nothing wrong with what he said at all and I encourage all Ute fans to listen to the interview. I know you’d have to listen to PK, but just listen for Lacey.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Piling on with inaccurate information on social media with 2k+ followers, 7 YEARS LATER, after it was already addressed was a douche move and he lied…. End of story. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ryan Lacy interview recap