Sharp College football did a great deep Utah breakdown

Viewing 8 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

im not able to link it (tony see below) but definitely recommend searching the vid on Youtube. One thing he talked about, that if it has been discussed i have not seen it, is there are major questions in our secondary. Statistically the weakest area on the team by far, and the eye test matched with constant blown coverages and just major execution issues in general.

This is not great timing as we may play 3 top 5 passing games in the country this year. Unlike the DL and LBs who are young but showed obvious potential, im not sure the group collectively has the ability to improve. We do not have a free safety, which is crucial to our entire defensive scheme. I like Vaughn a lot and think he could get better, but when our second and third corners will be attacked. Vaki and Bishop are great but best used in physical matchups and run support, not sure they can cover the fastest and most athletic WRs consistently

We all know that our defense is at its best playing single high press man, and we are not close to being able to execute that. Its been a long time since weve seen our corners in soft coverage 10 yards off the ball as often as we have the last few years.

Like I said, given the level of offenses we will play is a brutal matchup and nothing lowers our chances of winning the conference as much as this. I really hope i am wrong

(Tony when i try to post a youtube url directly, it tells me i have to use the link box, when i post it in the link box, it says i need to add it directly to the post. Not sure if others are experiencing this)

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

UPDATE: looks like I need to fix something… I’m trying to code it so people can’t screw up, LOL. I also looked for “Sharp college football Utah Utes” but couldn’t find anything through all the noise.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

CPIII was a generational talent, but collectively, I’m satisfied with what we have.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Damnit. Now I’m worried. We need Nate Ritchie to get up to speed. We do have some talented freshmen in Blocker and Snowden. Cross your fingers. Trust in Sharrief and Scalley.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

yeah we desperately need a FR/SO to break out. But im most concerned by not having a FS. We will probably play a lot of 2 high which hurts the run d but we might be fine with how good i think our LBs/front 7 can be. Medlock/Barton/Reid could be a f**king monster.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Every defensive strategy is an acceptance of risk points to gain advantage in other aspects. In press man defense there is an attempt to control best early in the count. When the defense gives up yards it is often viewed as a coverage mistake. Not only can our DBs make cover mistakes but cover can be strained to breaking point by too slow pass rush or broken QB contain. We have a good defense but when we give up some yards it will be in the secondary. Close man cover is often effective but does cause the defender to turn their back on the QB more than zone. Man coverage off the line has a lot to do with DL control and pressure. Also, the Utah defense strategy is stressed by hard to contain QBs, something we saw often last year and have a steady diet of this coming year. Sadly, we can do very well this year and still have issues with the offenses we face. We don’t need to be perfect just give up less than our opponents.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I agree.  It is kind of a chicken and egg thing.  We man press because we have traditionally had a monster pass rush.  We really have not had that in the past few seasons and that then exposes the coverage.  If we can get the pass rush back then our coverage will look much better.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I’m going to catch some flak for this comment… But I think we will be much improved at Safety by replacing Hubert – whether it’s Ritchie or someone else

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I totally agree.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I hope you don’t catch flak, because 99% of the broken coverages last year were his fault. He got picked on repeatedly in the Rose Bowl, enough that it isn’t inaccurate to say he was the reason we lost.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I completely agree.  Just watch the Rose Bowl film.  

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

i rewatched that game the other day too. All of penn states big plays were on Hubert. Brutal

Gilly Boy 94
      Ute Fan
      @scottgilberg

No criticism about your comment here. Overall, Hubert was a huge liability in the backfield. I have watched the CCG and the Rose Bowl several times and have become fascinated with how often he was in the wrong location, pursued the wrong player or took terrible angles on tackles. Also seems he liked to hit rather than wrap up and tackle. Most of the big plays for the opposing teams in those two games were due to him. His interception in the CCG atoned for all the big mistakes he had been making, but still…

AlphaUte
        Ute Fan
        @connor1822

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile…. And it’s usually his own.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

For what it’s worth, I heard Bill Riley giving Brett Ciancia’s rankings on the Utes position groups. Ciancia had the the Utes rated pretty high. DL and LB were the highest at #7 each. I don’t remember where he rated the secondary but I think it was #12. The lowest rated position group was #15 and I don’t remember which group that was. Hope that helps you feel better.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

12th in the country? no it does not. Lol. This is not the 12th best unit.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sharp College football did a great deep Utah breakdown