So…

Viewing 4 reply threads
      6 9

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

Baylor boy quit and showed us his true character. Cam has his shot now and he won’t disappoint. GO UTES!

8 2

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think it is telling when players transfer the second there’s adversity or they don’t start. What does it tell? Perhaps something about that particular player, or something about where society is at the moment. Each case is unique of course. 

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

This is riduclous. The kid came here with high expectations. It didn’t work out. He has 1 year left to play with a redshirt year avaliable. Why is it so bad he is going to transfer and sit this year out while learning his new teams offense? 

Some of you act like the kid is quitting at the first sign of adversity while the truth of the matter is he has 1 eligible year left to try and make his dreams come true. Don’t act like you wouldn’t do the same at your current job. 

7 1

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Thank you! Unless the same people were accusing Covey of quitting on the team in 2019 when he shut it down and utilized his redshirt, there isn’t a lot of credibility. Seemed like most were complimenting that decision as pretty smart.

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

I mean, I think the criticism of Brewer is silly here, but wasn’t Covey injured and they just decided to shut it down to get him fully recovered.

3 1

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Yeah the comparison to Covey is apples to oranges, Covey is still on the team. He wasn’t benched and then took his ball and left.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Covey did not quit on the team in 2019. When injured and could not play and did not want to risk greater injury, he stayed with the team and continued to help in any way possible. He is another example of team first. He actually spent his time helping other receivers that could have developed to take his place.

I admit I have a bias. I have seen Jr High and HS players transfer multiple times in search of spots to start and I have also seen others that did not start stick with the same team and go from second string in JrHS to playing on NFL teams. The latter is much more a joy to work with.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

I didn’t say Covey quit. I said that he utilized the rules to get himself another year of eligibility. Whether that year was used at Utah or not is irrelevant to me. It may be a factor for others and that is fine. Just recognize that it is your bias (i.e. benefits Utah) that you are using to determine whether the action is worthy.

The decision to use the redshirt is the same for both players so it isn’t apples and oranges.

3 1

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

It’s completely apples to oranges. They both used their redshirt yes, but one quit and one didn’t. Covey is obviously a team guy and Brewer was obviously only going to be here to start at QB. You can argue that it doesn’t mean it’s a bad decision but Brewer quit and Covey didn’t.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

I’m sorry but by your standard, Covey quit on the 2019 season. If you think Brewer should have “sucked it up” and been available in case Utah needed him this year, then hold Covey to the same standard.

It was obviously not working out for either Utah or Brewer. So it doesn’t bother me that he’s moving on. I’ve said it before and will repeat it ad nauseum… I don’t give a crap whose name is on the back of the jersey. I want the name on the front to be successful and it doesn’t matter to me who gets the job done, as long as it gets done.

The bigger question is: Did you really want Brewer taking snaps any more this year? If you don’t, we are on the same page. I think I just want the Utes to get the rest of QB room ready for the future and not waste any more practice time on a guy who I don’t see making the team better at this point.

Also, most of us change jobs when things aren’t working out the way we want them to as some point in our life. I don’t see Brewer leaving as being any different So I guess I look at him transferring as a business decision instead of being a quitter.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

Correct, I am bias. Without ever working with either I would say I would take every Covey I could find and I would try to avoid a Brewer. My bias can overlook someone transferring schools but it kicks in when I see a second transfer in less that 10 months. But I have seen many kids stick it out and more that I want to see transfer in and out so the bias does come from experience. Covey did not have a decision to make, he was simply unable to go well enough to be safe. Covey had overwhelming confirming advice from his team, I suspect Brewer did not get advice from his team. The only thing they have in common is football. Still, I wish Brewer well as I also wish Bentley well. I believe Bentley is doing well at South Alabama.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

mea culpa. I haven’t really figured out the reply function on here. I seem to always have to hit it twice to get it to the proper comment and messed it up this time. my reply was meant for central coast.

To your Covey v Brewer point:

I would take every Covey I could find and I would try to avoid a Brewer.

I’m not knocking Covey in any way. He did what he felt was best for himself and his career. I also think Brewer has just done the same thing. So I think people are attributing negative traits to Brewer when by all accounts at both Utah and Baylor, he was a good teammate who did everything he could to help the team win.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I would like to know what was actually said to Brewer that made him make the decision he made.  If he was told that he was done here and completely shut down and that we were going with Rising because he was the future that is one thing.  But if he was just demoted to second string because of a bad game and had a chance to start again that is a completely different scenario.  In the first case I think his departure would be reasonable.  In the second case I think it shows a lack of confidence in his own abilities and he should not have been made the starter by our coaches in the first place.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

I highly doubt coaches would tell someone in that position (just replaced in one game and was outperformed by successor) that “they are done here”.  That would be the dumbest personnel management ever.    Rising could get injured or sick (COVID is still a thing, I hear) next week and we need a reliable QB2, not to mention the possibility of Brewer winning the starting job back at some future time.

pics
      Ute Fan
      @pics

He made a business decision. As much as I don’t like seeing players leave, he needs to do what’s best for him. He came to Utah with a lot of hype about an offensive line to protect him. That didn’t happen. Wish him the best wherever he ends up.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I would argue that the “business decision” was a fail.   Sure, he could play again another year but where and what will happen there?  If he was not getting any interest from the NFL after Baylor, then what will get him on their radar?  He is not going to end up at a P5 school next year, maybe MWC, MAC or even Big Sky.  How can he be sure they will have a solid OL that will give him time to sit in pocket and go through reads?   Maybe some league that has weak defenses.  Would being QB2 to Rising help him get to the NFL?  Probably not, but it could help him in other ways (get MBA at Utah, go into coaching, etc).

salty-ute
          Ute Fan
          @salty-ute

I was a businessman… doing business.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I don’t know how much the angst has to do with Monson’s article in the trib. Sadly, local sports writers are not like football players. With the writers, it seems an awful one last for decades even though you are sure new replacements are available that could do a much better job. Monson is simply bad but survives in a niche where he placates to ute fans but really speaks just to Y fans. On top of that, he can’t watch a football game and tell you what is happening, he can only recite a box score. Monson is basically a junior high wannabee sports writer for a specific audience, that is not us.

As to Brewer… At every level of football under the NFL, you can’t help yourself until you help your team. When your personal needs jump above the team it just does not work out. One of the most important aspects for the skill positions is the ability to continue to improve even if you are not the starter. It would be a sad QB room if only 1 guy can be upbeat and all the others are despondent and looking for an offramp. Thankfully, our skill positions are mostly made up of the right kind of personalities. Rising clearly has the makeup that allows him to be a team player first and can be a player even without starting. Good lessons for the younger players.

I am glad we had a QB2 ready to go, I expect that getting the new QB2 ready will be important as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.