@battlegroundute

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Wanna talk strategy for a second? I honestly think Whitt sent out the field goal unit before centering the ball for the winning kick, just to make sure USC burned their last timeout. He knew they’d use it to try and ice the kicker. Thoughts?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Why was Whitt losing his s**t with the side ref? I think he was trying to argue substitutions again. He sent the offense out saw USC kicking personnel and wanted their last timeout. Then lined up on the hash everyone knew a usc timeout would be called.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

IDK but I loved it – Just hit a GW kick and the first thing Kyle does is yell at the refs

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

No before that. He was arguing prior to the centering of the ball.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Whitt explained it in the post-game presser. They changed the rule so that you can’t ice the kicker by calling multiple timeouts. Since Utah had called timeout before sending the kick team on, SC calling another timeout with out a play running was this issue.

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

The reason was a miscommunication with the officials. Whitt was told he couldn’t call another timeout after centering the ball. This of course was false. The ref thought he was asking about calling 2 timeouts in a row, but Whitt wanted to run the centering play and then call timeout.

I’m just glad this scenario didn’t result in Utah rushing for a FG because that was going to be a mess. The holder got hit in the head with the ball as the timeout was called.

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

“ And what we were doing there at the end is we were going to center it up and I let the ref know we were going to center it up and call timeout. They say you can’t call timeout, but you just can’t call consecutive timeouts. So I sent the field goal unit back out there, knowing that it was incorrect, but they were going to wind the clock and then they (USC) called timeout. And so, I came back over and got the other ref and said, ‘hey, what’s the deal?’ There was a little bit of lack of communication, but the bottom line is we got it settled where yes, you can use your final timeout if you use that last play to center it up. So that’s why it looked a little bit wishy-washy at the end.” Whitt

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

You want to talk some more strategy? How about the possibility that Utah allowed Williams to score on the QB keeper so that they would have plenty of time to go down the field and kick the game winning FG?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The time management on Utahs ensuing possession didn’t really make me confident. Two busted plays and #90 with 3 seconds to go. It worked.

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

I don’t buy it. They needed a TD not a FG, so i’m sure whit was hoping to hold them.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

As Landen King said, “I love this team.”

Resilient!

Overcame uncalled block in the back of Damuni on the punt return. Overcame a drop, 2 false starts and a bad mark on the game winning drive to win. Oh yeah and Brick (Barnes) killed a man!

utetastic
      Ute Fan
      @utetastic

You want to have an interesting experience.
      Watch just Caleb Williams
      11:04, 12:02, 12:30, 13:30, 13:55, 16:44, 17:26, 18:15
      All by himself, there is only one moment when someone is sitting next to him talking to him. (12:30)
      No pat on the shoulder. No good game. No it’s O.K. we’ll get em next time.
      I don’t mind that he doesn’t shake hands with the Utes but nothing with his team.
      I might be reading into things that are not there and he is an amazing quarterback but I wonder what kind of teammate he is. Does he even like his team? Do they like him?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If you were Caleb Williams would you like you?

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Two different mind sets between Barns and Williams and it shows .. I truly love the grit Barns has ,that’s the football I love .. no NIL no entitlement no I .. he’s about laying it all out there .. I love how this team is built and how the coaching staff has built it .. keep it old school .. keep it tough .. let’s keep it rollin

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

LOL Eagle…If I was Caleb Williams I wouldn’t care…I’d be too busy counting my money. That’s the mentality.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Caleb Williams is all about Caleb Williams. He certainly is an amazing athletic talent. If I were an NFL GM – I would think twice before I picked him #1. However, GMs think they can fix this kind of thing. He has the talent to become a great NFL QB. But, IMO he won’t become great because he is NOT a team-first guy. He is not a team leader.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

If CW tries the kind of s**t he does in the NFL he will be recovering from injury. Look at the Colts. NFL qb’s are on a different level of good. Maybe CW can go to that level but I just don’t see it.

Dallas
            Ute Fan
            @dallas

Maybe CW will play tight end in the NFL.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Not to defend him because I certainly despise his antics, but Caleb Williams is a millionaire many times over at the ripe old age of 21. And, he hasn’t even begun to start earning “real money.” You have to ask yourself, how many 21 year olds are in that position? Not many. Plus, there’s the fact that he is a Scorpio (I’m a Scorpio as well). The inability to achieve their goals, can make Scorpios burn with jealousy. Competitive and ambitious, they hate to lose or be left behind in the success race. Either they will beat you at your game or else the lack of success can start messing up their head. They wouldn’t share their worries, being secretive by temperament and in due course, their failures will become their biggest foes. They are sore losers and for years to come, they will continue to hold that resentment towards the world in their heart (I got this description from The Times of India but it rings true).

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

I’m a Libra! But I have no idea what the hell that even means. 😂

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Astrology.??!? Ok I guess.

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

“How DO you Do?”
      “Holy Mackerel!”

I love hearing phrases that people used all the time (but rarely do today) when I was a kid growing up in the 70s. LOL.

Anyway, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I’m with you…I watched another version of the same broadcasters and thoroughly enjoyed it. Those guys are real pros.

BD
          Ute Fan
          @flyfisherman

Those guys are real pros.

Yes they are. They are biased for USC, which is perfectly fine since it is their radio, but they do so in a professional way that doesn’t make you irritated.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

One thing I just noticed on our last drive – Vaki didn’t play one snap. We obviously still won so it didn’t matter but find it odd that they didn’t use their most explosive player during such a critical drive. I would bet that if we had lost, that would have been a big question. Just opinion.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

#90 and two busted plays. That was that drive. I actually agree with the color guy. Although he was wrong on the target. That was quite obviously a target and if Utah did it I would expect it to be flagged.

The time management looks awful as it unfolds but ended up working.

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Think Vaki was spent at that point , dude needed a breather

2 1

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Outstanding share, but I will forever downvote someone using the word delicious to describe a non-food subject.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

First, #1 (Branch) should not have been allowed a return. In this situation the chance of a fair catch is near zero, the chance of a long return is quite likely even though it has been defended prior, kick out of bounds is the correct strategy.

Given the ball on the 11, Utah either let CW score or the defense was given a sleeping pill collectively.

The last drive did not start out well and the USC penalty was an assist, but the critical play was all on USC when they let Barnes run around thru half a dozen for a mind numbing 26 yards to be everything in the last drive. A busted pass play that CW usually owns. No idea what Whitt was excited about. It appears LR was surprised by the center the ball plan.

CW has had lots of wins to celebrate, he could have been classy and shook Barnes hand for his only big win. Instead he let Barnes wander the crowd in an unfamiliar attempt to locate CW for the customary QB greet. Given the way he handles a loss, maybe Utah owes ND a ‘thank you for your assist’ card.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

We all know Whitt wanted his defense to win that game. The Punt return was a mistake.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

That guy seemed pretty reasonable.

NorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @northernute24

The announcing in that may have been even less biased then the actual FOX crew. Watched the entire first half on mute because I couldn’t stand listening to them gloat about USC. Glad we got the W though. Hoping the Gameday crew is better considering they will be in Salt Lake LOL

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So delicious….listen and laugh