Somebody Riddle Me This…Please

Viewing 7 reply threads
      4 4

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

How does a G5, mediocre academic institution and currently mediocre football team like Boise State get a 5 Star QB transfer like Malachi Nelson (previously at USC) while Utah doesn’t even get a sniff of someone like that? Is it that he’s just a bad fit or that Whitt isn’t interested or that Nelson thinks he would start right away?

enigami344
      Ute Fan
      @enigami344

with the 12 teams play off G5 teams now have a better chance. It is probably better to go to a top G5 school as QB1 than going to a mid/low tier P4 school and doesn’t get a guarantee starting job. If he plays well at Boise he can transfer again

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Good question. I think a 5 star QB wants to start right away. He already sat at USC because he was behind the reigning heisman winner. He probably wants a guarantee start for year 2.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

I find it more interesting a highly recruited, 5-star QB transferred to a place like Boise State when big-name contending teams are in the market for a QB next season. How does the QB from UNLV end up committing to Georgia one day, then flips to USC the next, and one of the top recruits in the nation last year swaps places with him in the MWC? Maybe Nelson just wasn’t as good as advertised.

1 1

Redblood
        Ute Fan
        @redblood

Yeah if coaches of p5 schools still thought he was a 5 star he wouldn’t be at Boise.

Gilly Boy 94
      Ute Fan
      @scottgilberg

Pretty simple answer. Cam Rising. He would be sitting in any transfers way this next season. It is wide spread knowledge that Cam is the man at Utah. What 4-5 star player wants to come be qb2?

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Well, let me tell you. The way I would think is that Cam’s coming off an injury, Utah’s a top team, and, even if I don’t start, I’m set up for next season and the ability to collect beaucoup NIL for a couple of years. Of course, that scenario sort of derails the Isaac Wilson experience.

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

Simply put, he is not going to sit another year. Sounds like USC saw what they had and he wasn’t that good, sitting at 3 behind Miller. For him it is clear: Playing Time >> $$$ (Miami). I kind of admire that. Shuns the current mercenary environment.

tarheelute
          Ute Fan
          @tarheelute

The cost of holding off on Rising in 2023, assures his QB1 position for 2024. Not many coaches (or players) have the commitment and patience. Lets hope it works in 2024.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

You understand the Whit does not and cannot do most of the recruiting right? all HC’s have to rely heavily on their staff. In most cases the HC focuses on the big dogs and sealing the deals. Not identifying the available talent

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Sure I understand that. But, at the same time, Whitt is the CEO of the team and has final say on all recruits and sets the recruiting priorities.

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

He’s looking for a place that’s a step down with a starting job. He can go dominate G5 competition and then make a bag when he enters the transfer portal in a year or two.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Here’s the thing though…you can only transfer without having to sit out a season once in your college athletics career. The only caveats to that are if your Head Coach gets fired or goes to another job or if you can show some extenuating circumstance, like s family medical situation, which requires you to be closer to some specific regional area

RustyShackleford
          Ute Fan
          @shakyute13

I thought if you were a graduate you could transfer again?

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

Graduate transfer, yes. And, as we’ve seen in basketball, D. Smith and others are playing as court cases challenge this. I frankly thing they shouldn’t get even 1 free transfer without coach/family health/extenuating circumstance reasons, but oh well.

Someone like Malachi could get a Comms degree (like JJ) in a shorter time, so could play 2 years at Boise and if great, go to the NFL (3 years removed from HS). If only ‘good enough’, transfer to a higher profile school and play for a year before going pro. It remains to be seen how good he really is though. Not all 5* qbs make it.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Is JJ a grad transfer? I wasn’t aware of that…but good for Malachi if he can condense a four year degree into three years at the same time he’s playing football full time. Not many players can do that.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Reports out of USC was that he was awful.

I’m sure that played a part in it.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

If you’re transferring away from a guy who will have presumably his 3rd #1 QB pick in the draft this year maybe a step down in competition is the right move…

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Somebody Riddle Me This…Please