The New NCAA Quarterback

Viewing 0 reply threads

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

So I’ve seen a noticeable difference from PAC-12 quarterbacks and quarterbacks from other conferences (Baker Mayfield may be an exception) in the style of play. Jake Browning, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen all seem to be proficient in the position (we’ll see how Williams does this year). They understand defenses and how to read them, and while they vary in their execution, they know where to put the ball for success. They also have some degree of elusiveness, Rosen probably the least. Every other well known quarterback from a big name team, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, J.T. Barrett, etc. seem to rely solely on athleticism. Hurts is big, and hard to tackle, so he just has to wait for the secondary to give up on coverage because they see the defense make contact. Then he connects deep because he can break tackles, seems almost like Jameis Winston was cut and pasted into Alabama. Jackson is the same, but it’s his speed that gets him out of trouble, and if the line isn’t stacked enough, he gets skinny and can break out a big run. Barrett is sort of in the middle of them, not quite as fast or strong, but strong and fast enough for the secondary to think he got caught. I’m not sure where Mayfield is honestly, sometimes he seems awesome, but then nobody in the Big-12 plays pass defense. They don’t seem to have a mastery of the position, just a high level of athleticism, yet everyone gushes over them. Maybe it’s my own bias as I tend to favor the conference my team plays in, but has anyone else noticed this?

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The New NCAA Quarterback