The Next Utah Basketball Coach

Viewing 6 reply threads
      2 8

M-dash
      Ute Fan
      @mejensen

I’d love if we could get Alex Jensen, but I wonder if he’ll leave the NBA. One option I wouldn’t mind would be to poach Pope and Burgess from the Cougs. They’ve done more with less down south. Thoughts?

3 3

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

have they truly done more with less though? I mean, I suppose their recruits were ranked a bit lower on average, but I don’t think anyone would look at their players, then look at ours, and say we have more talent than them. Their players are clearly better than ours. It’s not hard to see. Most of our “4* recruits!” turn out to be majorly flawed players that were likely passed over by better programs for that very reason. With the exception of Larsson, they all have huge flaws that will likely result in them not having a snowball’s chance in hell at reaching the NBA.

Allen: Couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 18+ feet out.

Jones: Waaaaay to small/fragile/slow

Carlson: goes through large stretches of every season thinking he is a shooting guard. Can’t/won’t put on weight/muscle

Jayce Johnson: was a 4* recruit that had no clue how to play offensive basketball. Terrible basketball player TBH.

Martinez: Freakishly athletic, solid shooter (if he can ever calm down a bit), but his frame is too sleight, and his handles to loose to get anywhere close to the NBA (Yet to be seen whether he can rectify these holes in his game, it certainly is possible with a coaching staff that doesn’t get in his way).

2 2

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Yoeli Childs was BEGGING Utah for a schollie, but we were good, thanks but no thanks is what we told him.

1 2

M-dash
        Ute Fan
        @mejensen

Perhaps I should rephrase. They are doing more down South than K is doing on the Hill despite the inherent recruiting challenges at the Y. It seems that without those disadvantages, they could be even better.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Most programs are doing more than K is doing. That’s not a huge accomplishment. 

AlphaUte
            Ute Fan
            @connor1822

Coach K sucks. He’s Horrible

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Yessir

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Greg McDermott might be available on the cheap.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

With Scalley as assistant? I think Harlan shy’s away from McDermott.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Jensen isn’t happening. He’ll be an nba HC in a few years.
      Pope no thank you and if he did come Burgess would take his spot as HC at BYU
      If you want an instate Coach I’d go for Smith at USU before Pope.
      He’s done good things in Logan.
      First Choice will always be Jonnie Bryant

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I love the idea of Smith from USU. His enthusiasm is contagious. He reminds me of a 2004 Urban Meyer.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Pope is somewhat successful but he is a tool and likely not welcomed anywhere outside of Utah county. His first visit to the Hunty, the goofiness with no handshakes with Utah at the end, and his comments after should tell you everything you need to know to pass on that idea. I am trying to think about what Pac team could not finish 2nd in that league, we would need to shoot much higher than that.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

The first trip to the Hunty (ranting at the referees throughout the game, the handshake with Larry that took about 0.0005 seconds, post game sarcastic comments about the officials, etc.) was enough for me to greatly dislike Pope (and that was before the whole fiasco with Lohner).

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) The Next Utah Basketball Coach