The “weak o-line” provided for 247 yards on the ground.

Viewing 7 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Utah out gained USC in total yards. We didn’t finish in the red zone though. I hate the run pass option at the goal line. Run play action boot leg and get Huntley moving in space. That’s my armchair advice.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Absolutely.  He needed to run play action, rollouts… The straight drop back stuff was killing us with all the penetration the USC D had. How many yards did Huntley have? 

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Yeah. Huntley had 60 yards. Utah averaged 5 yards per carry. USC averaged 1 yard per carry. You would think we win that game.

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

they also caused a safety which gave USC 2 points, the ball and a TD

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Poor red zone play was a huge factor tonight.  I think it was 7 times inside the 30 and only 2 TDs.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Yep the only real coaching issue I had was the goal line play calling, it was clear USC was blitzing, it was clear the O line couldn’t pass block and the slow developing play had no chance to develop with multiple people in the back field before Huntley could even hand the ball off. Also not sure why not have a few role out plays, move the pocket as Huntley has proven he can throw on the move, however with the pass “blocking” for lack of a better word, again apologies to the word blocking, it’s hard to say if the rollout would’ve rolled Huntley to an unblocked defender or not.

MontanaUte
      Ute Fan
      @montanaute

Most of the runs/yards took place on the edges and not through the center of the line. I am calling that more speed than blocking that led to the yards. Know your enemies weakness and that was USC d ends. Most of Huntley’s yards are due to broken blocking or no one open.

Also secondary was a huge letdown tonight. Talk a bunch of s**t but did not come close to backing it up.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

What would that adjust to with their penalties and how was the pass blocking?  Didn’t we get a lot of those rushing yards on the edges and with Huntley’s broken play scrambles.  Don’t cherry pick this, you need to grade the entire performance.

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

Most all of these yards were either outside runs where speed got the edge or scrambles where Tyler Huntley miraculously avoided a sack and made a fantastic athletic play. Pass protection was AWFUL. Huntley got hit on almost every throw. Extremely porous. Run blocking was not only bad on individual matchups, the blocking wasn’t assignment sound at all. Multiple plays with unblocked players in the backfield. Anything slow developing or anything with technical blocking schemes was a bust.. if you watch the film on this game you will realize how awful the line actually played. Not to mention all the holds and procedural penalties on the O line.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The “weak o-line” provided for 247 yards on the ground.