This explains Scalley text if you haven’t come across this.

Viewing 5 reply threads
      5 1

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

2 9

User Suspended
      @a2ute

So if the text went to the person he intended it to go to would it be fine? The fact that he scrambled to cover his tracks and flew to the recruit’s house just means he got busted…. and I’m sure kwhit knew about this.

6 1

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

He didn’t say it would be fine. 

1 10

User Suspended
          @a2ute

he threw out a  text using the N word, assuming it went to the correct person. I think we can all assume scalley thought it would be “fine”…. if it went to the right person.

I get it, he’s a young hotshot (white) coach from Utah with very little understanding of black culture… he F’d up.  But this is the BIGGEST problem with Utah recruiting… It’s the stereotype coming to life….. white mormon using the N’word… negative recruiting nirvana 

IF kwhit can’t do it then the AD ( whatever his name is) needs to to do this FAST. AND IN PUBLIC.

Bigger question  If scally was and “outsider”, kinda like coach K, would you have the pitchforks out?  I don’t think so.

RustyShackleford
            Ute Fan
            @shakyute13

Except if the rumor is true, that recruit still came to Utah. So clearly it wasn’t that offensive to him and his family

WelcomeToSackLakeCity
        Ute Fan
        @welcometosacklakecity

We’ll have to await the results of the investigation, but it does seem likely that kwhitt knew about this in 2013, especially if Scalley flew back to the kid’s home to apologize. It’s possible that Shah and Scalley were able to avoid this from reaching kwhitt, though.

It seems likely that others will be punished about this, unless kwhitt knew about it and handled it in-house in 2013. If Shah did text that, then he will likely face some sort of punishment now if kwhitt didn’t know. If kwhitt knew about this and chose not to do anything, then this whole situation is MUCH worse….

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

In this context, it seems to take some of the sting out of the use of the word if he was just repeating it back to Shah after Shah used it. Obviously he still shouldn’t have used it but it certainly doesn’t sound like he said it in a derogatory, demeaning, or hateful way.

I would really like to hear the recruit’s take (as well as his parents) on the whole situation.

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

I heard it was Raelon Singleton. But I can’t confirm.

4 1

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I know I’ll be taken to task for this, but if this was the way Scalley and Shah talked to each other, and Shah tolerated the “slang,” or whatever you want to call it, from Scalley, it doesn’t sound like it was meant in any hateful manner whatsoever, but that’s just a superficial observation. There are a lot of white people who are “allowed” to use the word with their black friends.

3 8

User Suspended
          @a2ute

agreed… but it got out.  Now it’s like covid-19 for Utah recruiting.

You got to cut bait NOW! Kwhitt and the AD, In public and with FORCE saying this will not be tolerated.

He needs to go NOW!

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

I don’t think so. I think it takes an explanation, the backing of the players, and contrition from Scalley, and it could turn out OK.

3 11

User Suspended
              @a2ute

you’re so white. lol.

There is not one black recruit at this point who would not see this as a negative.  Mormons finding a way to make it OK will not help to recruiting.

Cut his head off and make it public! 

If not you’re going to see a lot of Kyler’s and Cayson’s’ on the team….which you might actually like

4 2

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

If this movement is really about change, and not revenge, then I’m right. If the latter, well… God help us.

3 5

User Suspended
                  @a2ute

Yikes… you’re completely missing the point.  Maybe we should start another chat about what gun we should get… lol

take your guard down and open up your heart. I agree, revenge won’t get us anywhere. But now seems to be a good time to really discuss racism and how to fix it . By the way, police violence is just a symptom output of racism…. I feel for most police officers.

I have no idea how to fix this problem, but it’s a problem that needs to be fixed.

r,reard urd 

2 2

Utesbyfive
                    Ute Fan
                    @utesbyfive

What do you actually care about Utah recruiting? My heart is open. I’m willing to forgive Scalley. Yes, I’m white. If blacks are unwilling to forgive, then what is this all about? Seriously? It’s clear your ideology is rigid and unforgiving. Maybe you should open your heart.

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

It’s incredible the way you know the heart and mind of every black recruit. 

1 6

User Suspended
                  @a2ute

Wake UP!

I’m guessing you’re mormon. what if a coach says something about garments or sacrament ritual, …would you let it slid?

3 2

Utesbyfive
                    Ute Fan
                    @utesbyfive

you’re so woke. lol.

UteThunder
                    Ute Fan
                    @utethunder

I’m guessing you don’t know what you’re talking about. 

I’m also guessing you are way too emotional about this story and are overreacting as a result.

WelcomeToSackLakeCity
            Ute Fan
            @welcometosacklakecity

If Scalley made this mistake once in some sort of silly joke with Shah, then you’re right that this could be solved with contrition and player support. However, there appears to be a pattern of him using these slurs to black athletes around the time of the texting incident, based on different players’ tweets. If this investigation finds a pattern, I highly doubt that Scalley stays, especially when people all across the nation are protesting against racism and discrimination.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

Agreed, if it’s part of a pattern, he’ll be gone. Let’s see if there’s an honest investigation. I’m actually not hopeful. I think that Pace’s rigid no tolerance ideology pervades academia, and no mitigating circumstances will be considered.

2 1

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

there does exist a dymnamic among friends who are white/black where the black friends use that word towards the white ones and the white one(s) use it in return and its not abnormal. “acceptable” within that circle, i guess is one way to say it. I say “acceptable” because Ive heard more than once this actually discussed between those friends, it always involved the black friends saying its ok if in ends in an “a” and not “er”. Another dynamic is that it being used between friends. Obviously if the white person using it was not friends towards the recipient, none of the above is valid

This is anecdotal and my personal experiences in a few small social circles in Utah. I dont know how extensive this across the braoder population. And I dont feel qualified to say if it is “right” or “ok”. Obviously this issue is complex and far extends some groups of friends ive been in contact with in a very white state. But it is a thing I have seen and heard.

astUTE
        Ute Fan
        @astute

Well, that thread was interesting, confusing, emotional, and hard to follow.  Whenever a thread is VERY hard to follow, it takes me a minute or two, but then I remember I put Pace on ignore and it all makes sense.

The thing that confused me this time, was that the thread wasn’t about recruiting – which seems to be the only thing about which Pace has an opinion.   

Johnny
          Ute Fan
          @johnny

Stop with all the emotions and understand the difference in culture. So sick of all the fckng victims in the current landscape. 

Step up or stand down.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

This isn’t a case of racism, it’s a matter of lack of culture. I’m extremely cultured, yet I’m probably misunderstood by most white people.

Someone sent me a message yesterday, ” Silence is Violence”, eat a fatty, dipsht. You just go through my Instagram to see where I go and what I do. 

Stop pushing sht on people and reach out to ALL communities to understand the difference in culture. 

And anyone embracing criminal activity, burn in a fire. The globe is hot, probably driest fire season ever. Be ready to stand down or step the fck up. Mother Nature doesn’t discriminate.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I honestly don’t know what you are talking about. No offense, but you are obfuscating your meaing. Is that intentional?

User Suspended
          @a2ute

lol, I agree.  I have no idea what he’s talking about. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

If Scalley made a special trip to fly out to the recruit and apologize, then there’s no way Whit didn’t know about it.

That’s…not good.

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

Since Scalley was always flying around meeting with recruits he could have easily not mention anything to Whitt on reason why he was going out there.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This explains Scalley text if you haven’t come across this.