Thoughts on Moving to the BIG12?

Viewing 8 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I guess any port in a storm, right? I rather enjoyed us being part of the PAC but you have to do whatever you need to do to stay relevant. At least we’ll be able to recruit Texas hard.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

I hate it but not as much as I hate the idea of being in the MWC/PAC.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Not thrilled. But whatever. So long as if we go we get to play BYU, Arizona, ASU, and CU every year I’ll be ok with it. 

Also, UU, ASU, and UA all go, I would love it if they also grabbed OSU and WSU, but that’s a pipe dream sadly. 

alexsmith
        Ute Fan
        @alexsmith

I think it would be in the big 12’s best interest to play with essentially a group of teams you play on a yearly basis. You set it up so you play those 4 and then 4 more against teams throughout the rest of the league

16 1

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

It’s the only move. Would be athletic suicide to try to stick it out with the Pac. GK was given more than enough time to put a deal together. He couldn’t get it done. Only thing he’s accomplished is making the conference a national laughingstock.

Remember this gem of a quote from him?

“I haven’t decided if I’m going shopping in the Big12 yet”

Complete jackass.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

My main worry is the P2 separate themselves and use the B12 as a farm league.

Selfishly, I live on the central coast of California between LA and the bay, so I’ll miss going to games too.

Extra Medium
        Ute Fan
        @runningreddude

They have already separated. Look at the payouts. The difference of these totals over the next 7 year media deal cycle is staggering.

PAC-12: $25M
        Big 12: $32M
        ACC: $42M
        SEC:$65M
        B1G: $70M

We are closer the G5 payouts than SEC and B1G payouts. Imagine we’re they will be in 7 years with recruiting, NIL, facilities vs where we are.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Right, I mean separate from the NCAA, keep us out of the CFP and buy our good players.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Honestly, what’s the worst that could happen in that scenario? The B1G and the SEC form their own conferences and play each other for their own national title. The rest of the country is kept out. 

The rest of the football teams probably reset, due to less money. We end up in a P12/MWC type conference and go back to playing football. The rest of the teams want money and to be the best, so they start a tournament or go back to the bowl system. 

And college football goes back to how it was in the 1980’s and 1990’s. 

In a lot of ways, I’d like that more. 

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

Kinda irrelevant at this point. It’s looking B12 or a slightly improved MWC

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

The P2 is already a thing. Utah didn’t get invited. Gotta take the next best thing.

6 1

ZoomerUte
      Ute Fan
      @zoomerute

The way I see it College Football is losing a lot of tradition and history in this realignment. Utah, Ariz, ASU, Colo to the Big 12 revitalizes the regionality and tradition in this realignment. California doesn’t care about the sport, the only sad part of this is losing the Oregon schools who care about the sport. 
      Culturally speaking we share more in common with the Big 12 than the Pac12 which is why I have supported the move prior to Colorado leaving. 

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I would have preferred the Pac12 w/ USC and UCLA but that is a thing of the past now. At this point, I think it’s pretty clear the Big12 is a better option, unless Utah really is just a couple years away from getting into the B1G (which I doubt in my gut, but I know nothing).

Honestly, I’m not sure why Utah fans have a problem with joining the Big12, unless you like to travel to away games, then it makes sense.

The best part would be seeing the reactions of TSPP fans when we accept an invite. TSPP fans REALLY don’t want Utah because they know the Pac crumbling and us not making it into the Big12 was their best shot at catching up to us on the football field. If we join, we’ll likely be full members right from the start, and that alone will put us even further ahead of BYU.

One other thing that isn’t talked about: Joining the Big12 would put a lot more butts in seats in basketball. people will show up to watch the BYU vs Utah games. People will show up to watch Kansas or Baylor come to town. Even if we aren’t great, it would be good for fan support, and hopefully give the MBB program a bit of a jump start.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

It will serve as a decent lifeboat until a better opportunity comes along.

I’m not concerned at all about what this does to us from an athletic standpoint (except the basketball program better get its crap together quick). But I am concerned about what it means academically. Remember, the PAC12 led to a huge boost in research collaboration and funding, and that funding dwarfs the athletic budget. Now we are moving to a full-on truck stop conference. Can we sustain that critical research funding now that we’re affiliated with a bunch of low-IQ universities? I have my doubts.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I think it is the best case scenario at this point. Not a huge fan of what the big12 brings totally. Football and Basketball I think it is a very competitive conference. 
      Obviously this will reboot the rivalry in November I imagine. Which will make a lot of people locally happy. I think it is probably a good thing. I enjoyed the early September matchups. You had less chance of weather interfering in the game. 

I have a lot of other stuff going on in my life to care too much anymore. I also don’t feel like the current model of College football is marketed to me as a fan. I think that is problem going forward with College Football. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Agreed. I may end up watching more NFL or just less football altogether

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Thoughts on Moving to the BIG12?