Tight End

Viewing 6 reply threads
      4 1

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

A big part of the Utah offense is the TE and I know Utah would like the option to run 12 and 13 packages. With the season ending injury to Yassmin and with Kuithe still recovering, Utah is not only running without the numbers to make these packages viable but also without a feature TE. This speaks volumes to both the run and passing game. Could it be possible that we could see some sets with Barton at TE? He was very good at TE and slot receiver going both ways in HS. He clearly has the ball skills. We don’t have the bye week that Vaki had to prepare. Desperate situations can drive desperate solutions. I would love to see the TE group get a shot in the arm. Reid and Damuni could hold down the base 2 defense. Medlock, Furey, and Calvert would have to cover rotation and 3LBer sets. The positive impact to TE may be greater than the negative to LBer. Also, to some extent Barton could play both with reps on defense reduced a bit.

4 1

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Having two-way players makes for a fun story, but why don’t we have running backs and tight ends that can beat out teammates who are supposed to be playing defense?

Don’t get me wrong, watching Vaki run with power and speed was exciting. I just wonder why one of our defensive players looks like a better runner than the entire running back squad.

Same for the tight end position. Hopefully there are some actual tight ends on the roster that can play, instead of taking someone from the defense.

1 1

Jim Vanderhoof
        Ute Fan
        @jvhoofs

I agree red rocks. USC has toughest offense ( besides Washington) to defend. They spread the field and make safeties and dbs tackle in space. Vaki and Bishop are all American type talents along with Barton.

Richie Snowden backup lbs are not the same caliber. Wearing out our best defenders on offense gives them twice the chance of injury or lose a step because they are exhausted.

I know the argument will be that they are better than the backups on offense which may be true but USC is not Cal on offense. Our defense will be pushed to the limit. Even more with Bishop out.

Give the backups on offense a chance. Maybe someone will be a surprise.

1 2

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

My temptation may be because the USC defense was so venerable to TEs in our games last year. It is hard to not repeat what worked so well. USC could have focused on that however, to date Utah has not given them any reason to have concern. TEs are so important to Utah’s offense I expect the backups would have had more targets if they could have created them already. I think the Utah defense could give up some snaps from Barton, if Barton could be ready the offense would benefit quite a bit. Second to the return of Rising, TE production is the best prospect for the offense.

2 1

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I think the answer to why is injuries first, and second need came before development could deliver. If Kuithe and Jassmin were playing this discussion would not take place. Same if Bernard and Curry were available.

Maybe Barton has taken TE reps in practice since the bye week when Jassmin was injured but you first see him against USC.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

You lost me at Hayden Fury.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Yes, I know. But do you realize he has been playing this year. I think it is not as noticeable because he has gotten better.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Ute Fan
          @jvhoofs

I don’t disagree Charlie. I think we will see first half how much we miss Bishop. The backups are really good at safety and lb. They are inexperienced and playing against USC is not a good time to see.

Barton Vaki and Bishop are exceptional. They might be able to sneak a play or two in with Barton at TE. USC is licking their chops at our inept offense.

URow
      Ute Fan
      @urow

Does a guy like Munir McClain move back over to TE to fill the void with King? I feel like he would provide a lot of mismatches and has put up good numbers in limited roles this season. I don’t mind Barton playing TE, since I trust Damuni and Reid at LB, but playing USC is different than Cal.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Awesome idea. It is not so much that I want Barton, I want to give the TE group a lift. McClain has the advantage of spending time in the TE group, however he is very light for the position which is likely why he returned to the WR group. Lets try it.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am not a fan. Injuries obviously happen all over the field. Utah’s tight ends seem to be most assuredly an injury prone position. A lot of these plays over the middle with small safeties spearing your legs and knees.

Barton needs to be utilized on defense.

1 3

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

You’ve got around 60 offensive players and everyone loves to tell me what a genius Ludwig is. If the answer to an inept offense is robbing from the defense instead of figuring out how to make things work with what you already have.,, that’s not an approach that I’m a fan of.

I hope it works but Ponzi schemes have a history of crashing in spectacular ways.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

“Ponzi scheme?”. Looks like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

no matter what you call it: ponzi, multi-level distributorship.,, Peter has less than he needs to make up for Paul’s inadequacies

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

Do I agree with everything Ludwig does? No, do I think he’s a genius? Again no. However, what do you expect him to be able to do with all of the injuries we have? He has very little to work with right now and what he does have is very inexperienced.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

He has very little to work with right now and what he does have is very inexperienced.

If only there was a guy whose sole focus was making sure that the offense had enough to work with and was properly trained up in case they were needed. Maybe he could even focus on recruiting QB’s and getting them ready. Where would Utah find a guy to fill a job like that? I bet they’d be willing to make him one of the top paid coordinators in the country and set his buyout so high that even Notre Dame wouldn’t be able to pry him away. Man, if only there was a guy like that on the Utah staff.

Whitt spent all year telling us that this was the most talented and deepest roster he’d ever coached. Now you’re saying that wasn’t true and the staff should get a pass for it?

Rick Walker
            Ute Fan
            @big2890

That’s not how recruiting works. Just because a coach is on the team doesn’t mean they do recruiting, not all coaches have the right personality type to walk into a kids home and recruit them. Also I believe (and correct me if I’m wrong) that each coach recruits a different part of the nation instead of recruiting their position groups necessarily.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

The impression I get from Ludwig, and I could be wrong obviously, is that he’s got a personality that radiates the same amount of warmth as a ransom note. I just don’t see him as they type of guy who can walk into a recruit’s house and get him excited about the project. I think he provides a list of capabilities he want to have for any future players to his offense and let’s other do the walking/talking. Anybody here ever have dealings with him on a personal level and can settle the debate?

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Good point, I’ve never gotten the impression that Ludwig is much of a recruiter. And to be fair, it’s never really been Whitt’s forte either. Maybe it’s because they both come from that same generation of coaches going way back to their days together at Idaho St. But the top recruiting coaches for Utah are clearly: Scalley, Harding, Shah, and Swan.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Each coach has an area of the country where they are the first contact. Once it has been determined that there is interest, the position coach takes over. Shah isn’t recruiting QB’s and Harding isn’t recruiting Corners. The easiest way to figure out which position a kid is being recruited for is to look at their offer page since the lead recruiter is listed there.

The position coaches find kids they think can play for Utah, then get buy in from their coordinator and finally the CEO.

1 1

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I, for one, think Ludwig’s a genius. How quick we all forget the 10 year revolving door of OCs. A number of those OCs have had success elsewhere but not one of them could work with and complement Whitt’s style and identity. Then back comes Andy and Utah instantly has one of the most productive offenses in the conference and we’re winning back-to-back conference championships and 2 Rose Bowl appearances. Averaging 38 points/game and 460 yards of total offense in about as balanced of a way with passing yardage vs rushing yardage, while also dominating time of possession was one of the most beautiful things these eyes have ever seen (to quote Rudy Ruettiger’s Dad). And again, maybe the biggest qualifying factor of why I consider this “genius” is because no other OC of the past 10, have come close to this type of production & efficiency working with Whitt.

Unfortunately, AL has had pretty much both arms tied behind his back all year having to work around all of the injuries, most significantly, without a real QB1 to make the whole thing go. Hats off to AL for at least being able to trot out an offense that can help us win the old way….”ugly”…..given we have such an elite defense this year.

Oldskool
      Ute Fan
      @gmack

TE Dallen Bentley? I assume he has been injured as everybody seems to be? I thought he was coming in from Snow College to make an immediate impact.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I believe Bentley just came back from injury and was available for the Cal game. If I’m wrong on that please someone correct me.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.