5. Colorado         64(1903) 29/32/3 .492

4. Colorado St.    80 (1902) 56/22/2 .713

3. Wyoming         83 (1904) 51/31/1 .620

2. tds                  98 (1896) 60/34/4 .633

1. Utah State       112(1892) 79/29/4 .723

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I did not expect to see Oregon on this list; and with just 31 games played? Weird. I would have thought for sure there would be several other teams who we had played more than 31 times.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

Losing to Colorado isn’t shameful, generally. Losing to them in 2011 was absolutely shameful. Putrid. Inexcusable.

I found it interesting to see how close the series’ are with Colorado and Arizona. Those are the rivalries we need to be grooming in the coming years.

And, I know I’m in a minority with this opinion, but I still see schools like Wyo, Colo St, and New Mexico as regional brothers and semi-rivals. I’d like to see them more often in our non-conference schedules. If it were up to me, I’d love to have a H-&-H always going on with some of our old WAC and MWC brothers. I’m actually stoked that Wyoming’s on the near future schedule.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Indeed, following the “A-B-C” concepts for non-conference foes, our old traditional MWC rivals are a good “B” opponent (and NOT you know who every single season).

Looking forward to Wyoming as some of the more memorable games I saw when first becoming a Utah fan were against the Cowboys.

I remember a game (I believe in 1981) where Wyoming had upset BYU early in the season in a blizzard, and later visited Utah late in the year and the winner would still be in the title race and loser would essentially be out.  We had a simply epic game against them with the north end packed with very rowdy and loud visiting Cowboy fans with Utah winning by just 3.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Those MWC teams are okay, but I would rather play Utah State than Wyo, UNM, or CSU. If we are going to play former WAC/MWC rivals not named USU, then I would prefer we play the schools in recruiting hot beds – Hawaii, San Diego State, UTEP, etc. etc.   

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I miss having Utah State on the schedule and making the drive to Logan.  (and Aggie fans >>>>>>> TDS fans).

1 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I don’t think we will ever see eleven conference games. Nine, or maybe even ten, but never eleven.

Coaches like being employed. Getting to bowl games keeps most coaches employed. With an eleven game conference schedule plus one more P5 game, getting to six or seven wins suddenly becomes a monumental task for half of the teams out there. With three or four non-conference games, most years, most P5 coaches can pick up two to four cheap wins and then just need to find a few more Ws in-conference to get bowl eligible. 

I think we are more likely to see an eight or nine game conference schedule with a mandatory P5 non-conference scheduling guideline to equalize things a bit. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Logan is so nice. Provo f**k that noise. 

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

This. I’ve had nothing but good experiences in Logan. They also have a cool little stadium.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Give me a break. How often is it the university president who fires a coach? Most university presidents don’t have a clue about athletics.

Sure, a decision on conference schedules is going to be made by university presidents, but they are going to talk to their ADs, and most likely their coaches, to get a feel for what those individuals think would be best for their university. I don’t think very many coaches are going to be advocating for a scheduling system that will make their job more difficult. 

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Yes. Because what is best for a coach in this case is also best for the university, i.e. winning more games. Putting your university in a situation where they could make more money but are more likely to lose more games will ultimately end with your university worse off and possibly making less money down the road.

For an example, look at BYU going independent. They have been making more money as an independent than they did in the MWC, but they have put their coaches in an almost impossible situation. Their revenues are going to start to take a sharp decline due to losing more games and waning fan support. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

No, but they have a pretty good hockey team.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Top ten teams played by Utah in its 125 Years of Football